Panosteitis In Young Dogs

Riddick

I had never heard of this until oneday last year after a obedience lesson.

To put you all in the picture.

I took Murphy to a friends place to have a play with his adult Border Collie, Murphy was 4 or 5 months old.

The next day Murphy got up and he was not walking right, so off to the vets.

The vet told us he needs to have an xray and this meant he would have to be knocked out ,as she tought it was the early signs of hip dysplaysia.

So the money total was running up with each word from the vet.

We came home and discust what we should do but we decided that we would book him in to be checked over the right way.

That night we had obedience training and we told the head instructor what had happened and what we were told.

She came up with that what we were told was nonsense. And she came up with the work Panosteitis.

We came home and got on the computer and done some reading about it.

And what we did read was to rest the dog/pup up for a term.

And this is what we did for about 4 months.

Then I took him back to my friend place for a play time and the next day he was fine.

Next week I took him back again and still fine, so I was certain that it was this Pano that he had.

To this day we have not seen anything that has slowed him up at all.

What I have had to do it stop him from going to my friends place to play as now Murphy is too powerful for his dog.

SO it parks for his running around, but I really have to find someone with a dog that can take his pushyness.

I find your post quite hard to read.

I'm not sure what your question exactly is?

Panosteitis is a condition in which shifting lameness and long bone pain are hallmarks. Affected dogs are usually large-breed dogs under the age of 1 year, however it can be seen in all breeds and ages.

The affected animals sometimes have fever as well and may also appear systemically unwell.

Radiographs are required for definitive diagnosis, although clinical signs usually have a typical presentation and signalment as I mentioned above. Pain on palpation of the long bones in the limbs is also an indicator. Many vets will choose to treat empirically with rest and pain relief if presented with a young dog with shifting lameness and long bone pain.

What breed of dog is Murphy? Personally I would be inclined to take radiographs as or some conditions such as elbow dysplasia and hip dysplasia, early diagnosis can lead to a much better long term outcome. But it would depend on the individual case and obviously one would have to see the dog in person and fully examine it and get an extensive history.

It actually wasn't a question as it was more of what actually happened to him.

he woke up being a little lame and we took him to the vets who said what I have put down.

We then went to training where we were told of this Pano thing.

So we rested him up and this has worked out to be just the thing that we had to do.

We rested him up for a while and this meant we didn't over walk him it was just around a little block.

Not obedience or running around, but this isn't to say when we were not hime he didn't do the running around though.

So to us this has worked out to be Pano and not Hip Displaysia.

This is all the post is about.

Murphy is a Australian Cattle Dog aged now 1 year old.

I hope this clears it up and sorry about it being hard to read.

Edited by Riddick

So to us this has worked out to be Pano and not Hip Displaysia.

But could it not have been a muscle problem, a sprain, or a badly bruised bone ?

I would be suspicious of an injury, rather than something like pano if a pup showed significant lameness after a rough & tumble with an adult dog

Glad the rest helped heal it.

Yer thats what we think it was just the rest that fixed him up.

As I have said after this bout and we never even took him to training nights.

And he came good so we just thought it was as the instructor had said.

Maybe could be a knock to a leg or whatever.

We have not had the same thing happen again.

Weather this is why he got better is a lot of guess work.

Not too long ago we bought one of those long tubes with a thing in the middle of it that lets you move your arm to get a lot of bubbles out of it.

We done this for a little while and Murphy was jumping up at the bubbles and landing and all the stuff associated with this.

And that day and after he has never shown any sign of anything.

Edited by Riddick

Agree I wouldn't necessarily say Pano based on your info here, particularly with only a single occurrence and no real diagnosis.

My first thought would have been strain or sprain after the playing.

Glad to know it improved and he is back to normal.