Medibank Silver Paw - Tooth Extraction

Hi there!

My fur baby went to the vet last night for his vaccinations, clean bill of health except for one tooth (very back one) which has quite a but of tar build up.

My vet thinks it may be fractured because there is no tar on his other teeth. They want to know him out, clean it and if it is broken they will extract it - $800 cost

Either way I will obviously do what ever is needed but I do have medibank silver paw (accident and illness) cover. This does not cover teeth cleaning but surely it covers a broken tooth extraction due to 'accidental damage'

Anyone has any past experiences?

I called them but they won't tell me if it's covered or not (useless customer service), only saying the claim will be assessed once it's received grr!

The vet said its not an emergency and just has to be done over the next month, he's eating fine and he is not in pain but I just want to know other peoples experiences with a claim like this and if they were successful??

Many thanks!

It will depend in part, on how your vet describes it on the claim form. If they consider the procedure 'cosmetic' or for removal of a deciduous (sp) tooth then they won't pay.

They are more likely to pay if the tooth is fractured or there is an infection and yes it ultimately depends on the claims assessor.