Worming Puppy

Hi all

Our border terrier pup is 9 weeks old, he will be due for worming at 10weeks (if memory serves me correctly - pls correct me if I am wrong) then 12 weeks then monthly? Other pups we have had we have got them at 10 weeks so, I didn't need to do them until they had their needles and the vet wormed them then.

His breeder was worming him with puppy worming syrup. I have usually used drontal tablets in the past.. Is this still the go for pups? I use sentinel spectrum for our cairn or interceptor, but am assuming pup is too young for this.

Also vaccinations - still 12 weeks then. 16 weeks ?

Thanks

K

Hamish had his first visit to the vet this week and I discussed all such things with them!

Different vets will have slightly different vaccination schedules - but my vet does them at 12 weeks and then 16 weeks (so your vet may do this or may do something slightly different).

I was given a sample of a wormer that is for Hamish at 10 weeks, he'll also get done again I think when he gets his next vaccination.

The sample I was given was Panoramis - can't comment on it as I've never used it before but the vet seemed to think that it does a good job (is also a flea treatment).

Interceptor/Sentinel can be used on pups from 2 weeks of age :) But because it also does heartworm this should only be given once a month maximum. For the two-week intervals in between, use drontal or a similar brand of intestinal allwormer only (no heartworm). But it's VERY important you use an allwormer tablet/chewy on him if the breeder has only ever used syrups on him, as most don't cover the full range of worms.

With the vaccinations there are two types now, as I found out a few weeks ago when my new pup went to the vet. You can get the old ones, a set of three (8, 12 and 16 weeks) or some vets are now doing a set of two where the last one is at 12 weeks, this is what I opted for with Maya. My vet offered a free 16 week checkup, even though no vaccination is needed, which is great :) These take longer to act though, my very warned no going to high risk places for two weeks after the last vaccination, where the set of three is one week after.

Hope this info helped :)

Thanks guys.. That does help.

Will get some drontal next week, to take him to 12 weeks, then off to the vet we go.

Thanks for the heads up on the vaccs, will see what vet says.