Help, My Dog Is Mysteriously Scared Of Me!

Erny, I'm thinking you're right, I'll start reconditioning him to be okay with the finger splayed motions and try to use treats to get him to stay with me. Lead is a good idea though, because the poor bugger is off tail between his legs and his ears down, like a caterpillar crawling along the ground as fast as he can away from me as soon as I show him the gesture!

I may also have to desensitize him to the bathroom, he cowers when I shut him in there with me and turn the taps on, even when I'm trying to "airplane" treats into his mouth to distract him. It's very annoying when people do the wrong kind of training on your animal and then you need to spend ages trying to undo the damage they've done :banghead:

Have the same problem with my 11 month old whippet Missy one day she comes runing wanting pats and cuddles the next day she won't come near you runs the other way. We don't know why she is doing this either nothing has changed altho my girl is fairly sensitive, If I catch her in the act doing something she isn't meant to be doing She runs before we even say No. Missy sleeps on my bed in her own bed, but during the night she keeps getting up which annoys my boyfriend and I and we have to keep telling her to get into her bed. Sometimes we have to put her back on her bed and tell her stay, I keep saying why can' see be more like Rascal he stays on his bed all night only gets up if he needs toilet. Missy on the other hand can't keep still.

oh yer 2 weeks of baby puppy 12weeks old being grabbed and treated harshly while being dog sat while I was hospitalised ment all the good work was totally undone came home to a scared rabbit who ran and hid and would no longer come to me, has taken 3 months to build the confidence back up to a level of trust and even now in certain situations she will bolt and hide or keep extended distance between me and her. I just ignore pay attention to other dog and play with him and then voila she comes bounding in to join the fun. Dogs are like elephants they never forget :)

Have the same problem with my 11 month old whippet Missy one day she comes runing wanting pats and cuddles the next day she won't come near you runs the other way.

Give the pats and cuddles on YOUR terms, not hers. And don't overdose on them. See how much less she is inclined to run away.

We don't know why she is doing this either nothing has changed altho my girl is fairly sensitive, If I catch her in the act doing something she isn't meant to be doing She runs before we even say No.

She sounds quite the sensitive type - one who needs structure in her life. Remember, it's generally not the "No" dogs are concerned about and respond to, it's your body and facial language, including the sound of your approach style. Chances are these are what she's responding off ..... just happens your "no" comes a millisecond afterwards.

Missy sleeps on my bed in her own bed, but during the night she keeps getting up which annoys my boyfriend and I and we have to keep telling her to get into her bed. Sometimes we have to put her back on her bed and tell her stay, I keep saying why can' see be more like Rascal he stays on his bed all night only gets up if he needs toilet. Missy on the other hand can't keep still.

Clarify your meanings. In this instance, crate train. You and your bf will get a good night's sleep and Missy won't be getting into trouble or compared with Rascal.

Edited by Erny

MTS I think if you follow Erny's advice you'll do well with Missy :) Crate training is the obvious solution to your bed problem. And maybe she likes the attention of being told to go back to her bed, so it's actually encouraging her to get up.

I know from experience that poorly administered reprimands will send my boy into hiding for days after. It helps to develop a very clear line of communication, and like Ermy said, structure is a big part of this. I also feel it's very important to train Weez to understand what I expect of him and enough commands that I can tell him what he should be doing. I figure if I have to reprimand him for just everyday stuff that is a failure of either management or training on MY part. The more he suceeds and gets rewarded for, the more his confidence grows and the better the trust between us, hence he stops running off to hide on his mat. JME :)

Edited by Weasels

• 2 weeks later...

You'll never know why - trying to work it out will do your head in.

Just address the behaviour. Reward the behaviour you like (calm, confident relaxed dog) and refuse to acknowledge the behaviour you don't. Absolutely no fussing or pandering.

But I also think a vet visit is in order. Dogs often work hard to cover their pain. Better to be sure, in case there is a physical cause.

Also hold yourself with calm and poise. Make sure you come across to your dog as a safe and reliable person. Fun stuff may not be what your dog is seeking at present.