Not Sure What To Do?

sobraon park

Sorry Sandgrubber, I am not colour bashing - I have numerous very close friends who have absolutely stunning chocolates, but sadly, just look at the puppy adverts - they are a high percentage of chocs - and extremely poor examples of the breed - which is a result of people not breeding for quality but colour.

To the OP - castrate the dog and pet home him - cut your losses and hopefully learn from this expensive lesson...

edited as my fingers are not working in the cold!!

Edited by labs26

To the OP, all I can say is you've learned a very expensive lesson.

A nine month old dog could have been Pennhip scored before you shelled what seems to be an staggering amount for an untested, unproven adolescent dog but even if his hips were perfect, you don't know for certain that he's fertile.

Why buy a stud dog anyway - after one generation, he's of no use to you for at least another generation.

Next time choose a proven sire and send your girls to him or do AI. :shrug:

As for colour breeding - yes it IS the people that make the colour the problem - but in doing so, they do create problems for a breed. And not just the breed under discussion here - its happened in quite a few over the years.

I just want to add sometimes ppl buy stud dogs because of where they are located. I live in a remote area, if I lived near or in a major city I wouldnt have bought my own stud dog. Unfortunately due to my location purchasing a stud dog was the most practical option. I have 3 IG btches and 2 dogs plus a baby bitch puppy. It just makes my life so much easier. I've also had a stud dog owned by another breeder living here this year so I could use him with my girls. Sure I could fly my girls around the country to be mated, and I may have to do that from time to time, but I didn't want to have to do it every time as the cost and stress involved would wear me down.

So I wouldn't necessarily be telling the OP buying a stud dog is a bad idea, it depends on her situation. However I have to say having stud dogs is a royal PITA. I would suggest to the OP if she is able to access proven stud dogs owned by other breeders, then that wild be a far easier and much less costly option overall.

Ok first up, if it was me, he would be going back and refund would be asked for, nicely at first but be prepared to take it to court. 17 is too high although for a stud dog, particully if you expect to stand him at public stud, no one will use him, but also of a concern is is the 1 /1 elbows, while this is breedable according to breeders it is not something I would want to be looking at in a stud dog, it means that at the age of 1 year old there are signs of changes in the elbow joints. Now the dog will never have problems with a 1/1 elbow score but I as a breeder would be very unlikely to use a stud dog with the hip and elbow score of your boy.I do tell all puppy buyers that all parents are score and original paperwork is here for them to view and they get a copy when the pup is taken home, but I also tell them that there are no guarentee's, as genetics can come back and bite on the butt when least expected, having said that of course I would work out something with that buyer if there was a problem, however if I had bred your boy and was selling him for alot of money I would have done some pre lim x-rays before sale, just how much money are we talking about, because as some one has said they wouldn't pay more than $1500 for a puppy, ( I know yours was older) but $1500 is quite cheap. I also agree that it is extreamly irresponsible of the breeder to say it doen't matter as you are only going to breed pets, well it will matter if you breed pets that then have problems and you have to start refunding and paying for surgeries on the "pet" puppies, there aren't that many breeders in NSW that I am aware of that are breeding chocolates and then selling them for obsene amounts of money in fact I only know of one. Send the dog back

Just to clarify - I didnt say that I wouldnt pay more than $1500, simply stated that the hightest I have paid has been $1500. I also am aware of at least 4 breeders in NSW cashing in on the chocolate's. Which are prices of $2500+

I think if you are in NSW and are breeding I would be more concerned about the silver and silver factored ( carry silver apparently) dogs that have gone to NSW from New Zealand. $2500 is a pretty normal price for a show quality puppy of any colour with health guarentee's of course. When it comes down to it you would be paying around $11,000 to $12,000 for an import with no gaurentee's, thats purchase price and freight, would I pay $2500, don't know, it would be on a case by case basis I think.