Strange Treat Behaviour

He is definitely spitting it! he takes it (very gently, but he does everything gently) and then just drops it at his feet. :o

My boy will do this when the treat offered is not to his preference. (He has digestive issues and sometimes he goes off some foods for his stomach's sake. Mind you, there is a fine line between recognising that and falling for the "i'd rather a better treat than that" .... but most times he's honest about it.)

Ok, He has been to the vet, had a good going over in general plus an extra look to cover off any possible medical reasons that could cause such behaviour and he has a clean bill of health :thumbsup: he also has three new volunteer owners should we ever get tired of him as all the staff at the vets wanted to take him home.

On the type of treat used i totally understand that bread might not be the first choice for something soft but it was the softest thing I had on hand, I have also tried

dried chunky liver

dried thin liver

ham

cheese

kibble

mince

strapz

bacon

he has taken some of them very and I mean very occasionally but none with consistency.

I am not going to worry about it, as long as he is healthy :thumbsup: in regard to training, he is so well behaved and adjusted there really is minimal training required, he doesn't wander or run off (he just stays in your general area), he sits down if you stand still, and if you are in a stationery position for more than a few minutes he lays down, he doesn't pull on the lead or in fact display any undesirable behaviour, so I think i'm going to let him continue to settle and take things at his own pace and then see how it goes from there, and see if he develops a taste for anything

In regard to the suggestions regardingplay or tug, drive training would be very hard with him as unless there is a way to harness "sleep drive" you'd have a job, honestly, i have never known a more laid back dog, he shows no interest in toys or play, he genuinely just wants to snuggle up, and as fundamentally he was purchased as a dog for my 9 year old daughter to "look after" i should probably count my blessings as he will have no shortage of those!

Thanks to all for their suggestions, they're much appreciated :)

Edited by Luke GSP

You can "premack" anything. Ie do nice sit for me and I give you a blissful ear rub or cuddle...

A lot of the drive or arousal stuff - is about getting a dog excited about learning. It's hard to train a sleeping dog or one that's just not interested in you. And some dog sports require some self control while running flat out (eg agility).

But if your dog is learning anyway, and meets your needs - it's not something to worry about.

I'd be quite happy sometimes if my dog had a better off switch or cuddle switch instead of her barking at me in the hope that I will do something exciting for her like run so she can chase me - or put some more food in the bob alot (second best).

You can "premack" anything. Ie do nice sit for me and I give you a blissful ear rub or cuddle...

A lot of the drive or arousal stuff - is about getting a dog excited about learning. It's hard to train a sleeping dog or one that's just not interested in you. And some dog sports require some self control while running flat out (eg agility).

But if your dog is learning anyway, and meets your needs - it's not something to worry about.

I'd be quite happy sometimes if my dog had a better off switch or cuddle switch instead of her barking at me in the hope that I will do something exciting for her like run so she can chase me - or put some more food in the bob alot (second best).

I agree, there are lots of ways of reward other than treats and I'm happy to use them, saying that, I think until he gets himself totally settled in and comfortable we won't know his true potential for training :) if he stays the way he is, i wouldn't complain he is lovely and just what you want for a kids first dog, but if he settles in and opens up the potential a little bit, who knows. (as long as he still loves 9 year old cuddles of course)