Do Dogs Get Growing Pains?

ash1

We have a large mixed breed pup, who is around 10-11 months old. He is an ex RSPCA dog and is growing at a rapid rate. Sold to us as a bull arab, but I am sure there must be some great dane in there somewhere - he is already larger than our full-grown german shepherd. He is going to be a huge dog when he is fully grown, he still has big knots at his ankles and his paws are like dinner plates.

We have noticed over the last day or two that he looks a bit stiff when he is walking. Having our GS diagnosed with hip dysplasia at two years old (he is now eight), I am terrified that Spud might be going the same way. I have been incredibly careful not to over-excercise or overfeed this fellow, in fact he only gets puppy play and no formal exercise at all, but we have a large acreage property and puppy play can be pretty rough and tumble and a lot of racing around (we have four pups all around the same age, so there's lots of play)

I was wondering if dogs got growing pains like kids do and perhaps that was the problem? None of our other pups have a problem, but although they are reasonably large breed dogs themselves, none of them are going to be anywhere near the size of Spud and are not growing at the same rate. He doesn't appear to be stiff all the time, but last night he was very slow to get to his feet and come inside.

Edited by ash1

Yup, they can do. Google Panosteitis (not to scare you!)

Also bear in mind if he was desexed early, this can lead to late / slow closure of the growth plates causing him to grow taller (because the bones keep growing) than what he may have done if he was entire. Sometimes diet can influence it too - if your calcium ratio far exceeds your phosphorous etc. You should probably just take him to the Vet for a check up and voice your concerns.