Help! Getting Two Corgis To Coexist Peacefully

Evie P

Hi guys! I normally lurk in the Corgis thread, but the lovely ladies over there directed me to this part of the board for my particular problem.

Here's my sweet girl Coral, who is 7 years old:

2aa99314f34911e1ad5c123138100de9_7.jpg

My boyfriend and I are planning to rent a house and move in together soon. Upsides: living together! We are both corgi lovers! And we both own corgis! His is an older gentleman (10 years old now) Pembroke Welsh corgi named Toby. This is the two of them looking utterly adorable together:

298831_173162026097969_1062074644_n.jpg

Downsides: While they both get along famously on 'neutral' territory, Toby, having been in a single-dog household for the last few years of his life, seems to be jealously possessive of what he perceives to be 'his' ground when it comes to other dogs. When we have walked them together near my boyfriend's place, they have been sweet and well behaved. However, if I bring Coral into my bf's house, especially the back porch and garden when Toby is around, Toby will start to aggressively herd Coral and have brief (but quite scary) fights with her, and since she is normally so placid, she's quite easily dominated.

My BF and I think that since we are moving into a new house for both dogs that it'll be a chance for them to re-establish their own friendship on neutral territory (especially since they are fine elsewhere), but we have no idea how to go about making sure how to keep the peace. His idea was that we introduce Coral first, and then Toby after a week or so, so that he behaves on 'her' ground, but he's a very boisterous dog! Do you think that this is doable, or would we have to get a professional involved? And who would be best to contact in Melbourne to help us out with this?

You might be best getting a trainer in to look at the interactions of the two dogs. I would suggest that when you move into your new place, the dogs are kept separate initially and any interaction is carefully supervised, with gradually allowing them more time together. I would also be putting some Adaptil plug-ins into the new place to help them feel a bit more relaxed. it will be very different for both dogs, having been only dogs. Most dogs adapt relatively well to changes in their life, just take it slow and easy with them.