Corns On Pads

Just wondering if anyone out there has had much experience with corns on dogs' pads? Although they are almost exclusively found in greyhounds, my basenji developed a couple of corns on the pad of her front left paw. They started off just as little rough patches but over a period of a few months they began to irritate her more and more, indicated by her regular licking of just that one paw. She would pull away in pain if we applied any pressure to the particular spots when checking it. Generally she was fine when walking, but occasionally would limp on it after a good run at the dog park. Initially we had no idea what it was so after a couple of trips to the vet, she had them surgically removed at the end of July. At this time we were advised that there was a possibility that they could come back. Less than 2 months later we had her back at the vet with another corn.

We have now been presented with a couple of options for treating her a second time. I have to say, I'm a little sceptical that the corns were all removed during the surgery the first time - I kept a close eye on her paw since the surgery and whilst the wound where the incision was made healed rather quickly, there was one rough patch that remained and is where the "new" corn has appeared. Anyway, the options we have been given are:

- Do nothing. This is what we have decided to do for the moment as it is not bothering her too much (again, she is licking it sometimes and it hurts her if it is pressed and she occasionally limps on it after a good run). As soon as it becomes an issue for her we will decide on another treatment

- Give her anti-inflammatories on a daily basis. We started her on some tablets but they didn't agree with her and gave her an upset tummy so have stopped again

- Surgery again... it seems too soon to be operating again and surely it is not suitable in the long term to keep operating each time one appears?

- In addition to the surgery, have a topical retinoid treatment applied in an attempt to prevent them from coming back

Of course, we just want to do whatever is best for her so if anyone has any experience or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Okay this is what she wrote for a fellow Whippet owner

My whippet suffers from corns - they are very common in whippets and very painful. I use Scholl corn removal pads - overnight only, as they do contain asprin, this will soften the corn and bring the core to the surface, I then squeeze/dig as much out as I can, then wait for the pad to harden again and then file away the surrounding dead tissue and then apply Diswart, again a human treatment. I keep repeating this process for about a week, (until the corn has gone) also i do try and keep him in boots when on concrete in winter as I find it is the cold that effects them. Jackson is 10 years old and has suffered all his life with corns, no matter how I try to prevent them he gets them every year, and i've tried every dog treatment and found, through his physio that what I'm doing now is the only thing that works:) Hope this helps u:)

Hope this helps you out :)