Importing From Nz Into Melbourne

Zensu

Hi!

Has anyone imported from NZ into Melbourne in the last couple of weeks??

I have imported several times, but have been told today to expect atronomical charges for GST.

Has anyone brought a puppy in to Melbourne in the last few weeks, who can help give me an idea of what to expect?

A year ago I had to get a broker to get a waiver of GST.... Ended up costing $250ish of fees plus 2 hours of wait time!! So stupid considering the dog was a gift and I didn't pay for him!

A friend brought 2 puppies in a week later and didn't have to do anything I had to do... Her flight got in at 6pm... As apposed to mine which was during business hours!

GST has been placed on some "Show dogs/breeding stock" coming in from NZ. I say some because not all dogs/cats coming in from NZ have had to pay GST. This can be dependent on the Customs Officer serving you at Customs House.

If you are relocating to Australia and you pet comes across as part of your removal, then likely no GST is payable.

In order for the GST to be worked out, you normally have to involve a Customs Broker who also charges for their service, around $140.00 in most cases.

GST payable has ranged from nothing, to 10% of estmated value to 10% of estimated value plus freight charges.

I have had one case in the last two years that GST was payable with over 150 pets collected during this time.

I currently have a dog from a European country that I arranged transport for in NZ that will be coming across to Australia in a couple of months, I expect GST to be payable, as GST was payable when he entered NZ and documentary eveidence will follow with him as a NZ GST Credit will be applied when he departs NZ.

BTW: NZ GST is 15% of value of the pet plus freight charges.

Hi there, we brought two adult dogs into Sydney a few weeks ago and didn't pay any GST. I assume puppies may be different. I certainly had to pay GST on the pup I brought into NZ from Australia. Even worse, the GST is calculated on the price of the dog + freight.

Ok, just an update..... I spent the better part of 4 hours on the phone today to every agency I could think on under the sun... Customs, toll, border security etc. when questioned, not one of them said I was expected to pay GST providing the estimated value was under $1000.00

So my advice would be to make sure you say your import was a gift, or is worth less than their cut off of $1000.00

Grace flys in tomorrow, so will be interesting to see the over all charges.

Wish us luck!

Disclaimer - if you're importing anything you should rely on advice direct from Customs in the links I have provided and/or your professional advisor.

OK, disclaimer out of the way, as Zensu found out, a dog is treated as any other kind of "goods" and is subject to assessment for GST if it has a value of $1,000 or more.

If the value of the dog is $1,000 or more then the assessment for GST is done on the Value of Taxable Importation (VOTI) which comprises the value of the goods, the transport, the insurance and any duty - in the case of dogs there is no import duty.

See information here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp#Duty

Gifts are still subject to an assessment for duty and GST if the value is $1,000 or more.

See information here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp#Giftssenttoyou

Dogs that are the personal effects of arriving persons (i.e. pets) may be imported as a non-taxable importation irrespective of their value. The concession is meant for people arriving to live here who are importing their household effects. To qualify, the dog must have been personally owned by the arriving person for 12 months or more prior to importation. There are also other requirements to qualify as a person who can use this concession.

See factsheet here: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/SendingYourPersonalBelongingsToAustraliaAsCargoOrByInternationalMail.pdf

If the dog is $1,000 or more and being imported on a temporary basis (ie you know it will subsequently be exported again), I would seek advice as different arrangements for taxation may apply.

See information here: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4370.asp

Success! As the value was less than $1000.00 the charges were minimal, only a quarantine fee and a paperwork fee, less than 300 dollars total!

I have been watching this for days and just have to ask ........ What did the $300 you paid get applied against. I had a girl arrive only weeks ago and I moaned because the invoice had gone up $9 to just over $90 for clearance etc. what did you have to pay for? I have my own girl coming home in a few weeks (been out in NZ getting her title) and I would be pretty annoyed at $300 when the airfare is already a complete ripoff.