Common Dog Health Afflictions (all Breeds) And What To Watch For?

I've seen a lot of threads about "cherry eye", conjunctivitis and skin conditions.

What are some of the more common, non-breed specific illnesses that I might need to keep an eye out for as a dog owner and what are some common symptoms I should be looking for if I conduct a routine check-over every month?

Dental issues I have had experience identifying and treating (well, my vet takes care of the curing, but I do the prevention measures).

Is there a good online database for dog illnesses?

I think the best way is to know your dog. There are the obvious visual problems, lameness, injuries, vomitting, diahoria, cherry eye, swellings, etc which are pretty hard to miss and can be checked by your Vet. The subtle changes in behaviour are the ones to watch for, grumpiness, not eating as well, sleeping more, not as energetic, that sort of thing. Sometimes these mean nothing as we can all have an off day but any prolonged episodes may need further investigation. Not sure about a monthly check as something could arise the day after. There probably are lists on the web but this can be like reading a Doctor's manual, scare the heck out of you lol. Just knowing your dog is the best way IMO.

I agree with pebbles. You just need to know what your dog normally does, what they normally feel like etc rather than being able to diagnose exactly what is going on.

ie my girl climbs rather than jumps onto beds when her back is sore, my pup squatted 3 times instead of 2 when she had a urinary tract infection and by knowing normal, and noticing a change I was able to get them treated by someone who can put all the pieces together.

I tend to put things that stand out to me on my calendar so I remember to keep an eye out on it and note any changes ie lumps and bumps. I also take photos anything unusual which means I can compare them over time etc.

The thing to remember is that you dont have to go looking for things- most dogs are mostly healthy most of the time. Deal with things as they arise and enjoy your dog in the mean time.