Help With Stopping Mouthing In Adult-ish Dog.

Zoomie

Hello everyone,

I've got an pretty active and boisterous golden retriever. He has taught me a lot as he grew, with my training shifting very rapidly to rewarding calm behaviour! He has done well and continues to do so with patience and perseverance. I am not able however to get rid of his mouthing behaviour! From a puppy I employed the "yelp" and then ignore (as in stop dead and look away, or get up and leave - taking toy with me). He does not seem to be testing any boundaries (IMHO) it's just he's always licking at hands and mouthing fingers. Licking has decreased substantially with more focus on calm and re-directing and considering just how bad he was with licking I'm very happy with the progress, but the mouthing is frustrating because of course, when things go up a notch on the playtime-active-THROWTHEBALL-scale accidents happen, knuckles get grazed or squashed quite badly against/between teeth! It is my opinion that if a mother dog can gently carry her puppies without harming them, then he should be able to play more carefully with people. Another part of me however feels that maybe time will help and can I expect such a boisterous dog to keep his head about him when he's hyped up playing? I do not encourage playing with my hands, but if any "hands on" play is initiated he is quick to mouth your hands, or feet etc. If there is a toy, likewise he's quick to push this toy at your body parts and get all mouth n' face into you. I also do not encourage hyper playing, or revving up - he does that of his own accord, and I'm quick to end games that get too "silly". He gets walked every day, for about 30-40mins, most walks have an off the leash period of running about with our other dog. Some walks I take a toy, some walks I jog the whole way and some walks are lazy human outings to the dog park! He has allergies to foods, we're currently not in a financial situation to test out what he is allergic to exactly (this is because when we get it wrong the poor guy needs antibiotics) but this does mean he does not get bones to chew on, not even raw hide or nylon. We do give him plastic toys to "dismantle" and he eats sticks all the time, I mention this because I wondered if maybe it as just an over-active mouth and more chewing would help him? I overheard someone at the vet saying that Golden Retrievers, being gun dogs retrieving birds - were more mouthy? Not sure why? Would be interesting if any G.R owners could shed any light on this? Finally, now he is 2 years old, and still I remove hands away when playing, I yelp/squeal/shriek when I get even a tiny graze, and he does respond by stopping... but then quickly starting again, then I would get up and end the game. I would love some help of how to stop the mouthing, if anyone has any opinion or advice to help shed light on this I'd be very grateful. Apart from anything else it's so gross to watch him eat chicken poop (apparently not allergic to that!) run inside, you pat him to say a quick hi and ew, your hand has been mouthed! Thanks again :)

No one else has answered this yet so Ill have a go until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

Gundogs are mouthy much in the same way that herding breeds like to 'eye' things and move in circles around them and terriers like to chase small fast moving things. When retrieving breeds were used for their original purpose they were selected for their propensity to pick things up and carry them - preferably with out doing any damage to it (hence having a softmouth).

Dogs also tend to play with each other using their mouths. Mine are constantly mouthing each other - from all different angles and positions.

It sounds to me like your dog is pretty good. It is only occasionally when you revv him up that he loses some self-control. I would guess that this is primarily because he is young. I have a young lab and for the most part now he doesn't feel the need to mouth me unless - like you - I rev him up in a game. Even my 6yo dog will still mouth when I initiate rough and tumble games with her. I basically manage it. Like you have been doing - I immediately end the game if it gets firmer than I think is acceptable. With a young boisterous male it very quickly escalates so I tend to just shove a toy in my pups gob. Hes more than happy to hang on to that whilst I rough house him and it saves my arms - wins all round :)

Or alternatively - just don't initiate behaviour you know will lead to something you don't like.

With the coming in and slobbering all over you - I would reward a different behaviour (drop, nose touch, whatever you want really) he'll soon twig that your chosen behaviour is more valuable than chomping on your hand and will start offering it when he comes up to you.

I should add that photos are mandatory on dol.

My boy was always very mouthy. He still has his moments, despite the fact that I've always worked hard to discourage it. He's two now as well, and tends to forget himself when he's very playful. As a pup he was one of those ones that got VERY revved up by the yelp, which just resulted in much more and stronger mouthing. A growl or any other noise had the same effect, so he was a bit of a challenge. I find clicker training helpful in this sort of situation, because you can slowly build up the arousing situation. I find kikopup's youtube videos helpful too.

Edited by Aphelion

Hi,

Thanks so much! This sounds like a bit more clever thinking on my part in terms of providing more entertaining "tricks" to do than mouth my hands, and also that same old thing of persistence and perseverance. Sometimes it's just good to know this! Thanks very much!

If your hand is in his mouth put your thumb under the tongue or push it further into his mouth if he has a good grab.

Your dog has not learned a limit on what is acceptable. He's not a baby anymore but in his mind he never progressed past the baby stage of teeth supposedly being allowed on you, hence when he gets revved up it's game on. Make it unpleasant and he will remember that, he's way too big a dog to still do it.