Desexing Puppies Before Leaving.

Andisa

As per title, those who have desexed puppies at 8 weeks old.

How do you manage the puppies after they have had their surgery?

Are they toilet trained (or training) before they leave - if so has the surgery changed anything?

How soon after the surgery do they leave for their new homes?

Anything to watch out for other than keeping them calm (yeah right...they are puppies) and clean.

In my experience with desexing very young (pediatric) animals the main issue has been fasting times and low blood sugar levels....though Im sure your Vet would have advised appropriate fasting times for young pups.

I cant see why it would affect toileting.

Good Luck with them all ;)

All my puppies are desexed before leaving here. Boys at 10 weeks + & girls about 11 to 12 weeks depending on size & weight. They must be a kilo minimum. I also breed siamese cats & all kittens are done too.

They are only knocked out for a very short time, especially the boys, it a quick job. When they come home it is like nothing has been done to them. They eat/play as normal & show no signs of discomfort or pain like older ones can.

They are fasted from 8 pm & water taken away at midnight. In the vets at 9.30 am the next day & usually ready to pick up around 1 to 3 depending how busy they have been.

If sometimes they are being dropped off around lunchtime they only need fasting for 12 hours before surgery.

The only thing I do is put them in a pen so they don't jump & run around after surgery for 24 hours for the boys & a day longer for the girls. Just my preference.

They are kept clean. No soil or mess outside for pups to get on their tiny one or 2 stitch wound. Kittens don't go outside at all.

Been doing this for about 8 years. Good feedback on all kittens & puppies & no toilet issues. The only difference I have found is that I have peace of mind that they won't ever be puppy/kitten farmed, bred inappropriately or passed around.

A very experienced vet gives me complete confidence in doing this.

Thanks for the replies, I had 2 males and 1 female pugs desexed yesterday and keeping them quiet has been a bit of a challenge. The boys are fine but I worry about the girl - she is the most feral in the litter and is very full on. They were so close to being toilet trained and desexing has been a set back :( . The girl is almost back on track but the 2 boys are not using the piddle pads as good as what they were. Hope they settle back down too.

2 pups were 2.1kg and the other was 2.3kg, they are nice chunky babies :D .