Molly's Heart Murmur Needs Medications

Molly is a mini foxy cross aged 10 and she's my heart dog. She's been on Phenomav for seizures for a number of years and that's controlled, thankfully. A few years ago, a previous vet detected a heart murmur, and said it was a Grade 1. So I knew to keep an eye on it and mentioned it every check-up. It's now progressed and my vet has prescribed Fortekor. I know nothing about this medication other than I'm going to have to cut back on something else as it's going to cost a fair bit. Once she's no longer stable on this I'll have to add another medication which is even more expensive.

Any feedback would be appreciated...I feel a bit lost and in the dark on this one and just need to know about other dog owner's experiences.

Ask if they can get Vetace in, its cheaper, same drug etc. Fortekor has gone up recently and our clinic has many seniors with senior pets. See how you go

The strength she's on is the 2.5 mg - does the Vetace come in the lower strength or just the "normal sized dog" one? *lol*

This is the product info for Vetace: http://www.jurox.com.au/products/cardiorespiratory/vetace_tablets_for_dogs_and_cats/

You could also ask if it could be compounded at a lower cost. There is a veterinary lab in Sydney, I think, that does compounding. I was going to get Grumpy's Trilostane compounded as it was considerably cheaper but didn't get around to it before he died.

Dieter's meds were very costly so I looked for a human version after chatting to the vet it was a little more affordable at $400 a week! :eek: (the joys of having a big dog)

Maybe a human chemist can help with these meds?