Petcare Educator In Nsw

goldrag

I went for training after my dog and myself were selected.

I really enjoyed it and was looking forward to doing it, but for me the pay was pretty poor.

You only get paid a small amount and have to travel, do your talk etc, setup /down.

And you can only work on so many days, i think 3 was the most ,as they don't want the dog working too hard.

I just couldn't afford to do it atm.

If you don't need a decent wage its good.

I was sad i had to decline it after training when i realised how much was involved. :(

For the time and physical effort involved the pay is low but the job is so much fun that you would do it for free if you could afford to. The dogs are only allowed to work on alternate days and they usually don't book Fridays so the most work you get with one dog is usually 2 days a week. If you have two dogs you can alternate, you can work 4 days a week. You need to be very organised because the semi-scripted talks have to run to a tight time schedule but it isn't difficult if you practice your timing. I wrote a time sheet to start with, including the exact times I needed to be at for each page of the talk. Some dogs love the job. Mine was pretty laid back about the whole thing and not really that excited about any of it but very stable even with kids who were terrified of dogs. I have been physically out of action for over a year, after a car accident so have not been able to return to the job but I loved it.

I agree, i would loved to have done it, and my dog is so laid back she was perfect.

If money wasn't an issue i would still have continued, but for now it is. :(

I think its a great shame they can't fund it properly to get the right staff for such an important job really.

Edited by juice