Pra Testing

Bling

i have 3 poodles and their parents have been tested AA but i would like to get the girl have recently kept and the boy i have recently purchased tested, can anyone recommend a place i have heard prices vary enormously :)

Kind regards Jenny

i have 3 poodles and their parents have been tested AA but i would like to get the girl have recently kept and the boy i have recently purchased tested, can anyone recommend a place i have heard prices vary enormously :)

Kind regards Jenny

Hi Jenny

ASAP Labs are the cheapest that I have used. They have a detailed website with a lot of useful information. They also have a list of non-vet 'collectors' that may be cheaper than your vet.

Kind regards Jenny

Hi Jenny

ASAP Labs are the cheapest that I have used. They have a detailed website with a lot of useful information. They also have a list of non-vet 'collectors' that may be cheaper than your vet.

ASAP are cheaper but there may be issues with PRA testing since Gentech has the copy-right to do the test from the USA - ring ASAP and check if this applys to Poodles.

Due to licensing arrangements, Animal Network is the only company that Australian breeders can use for prcd PRA testing:

http://www.animalnetwork.com.au/tests/index.php?testid=20

They have a list of accredited collectors on their website or you can have your vet take the swabs. It's worth calling Animal Network to discover what discounts are available e.g. online or volume.

Sylvia Power

Chair, Dogs Victoria Canine Health Committee

Due to licensing arrangements, Animal Network is the only company that Australian breeders can use for prcd PRA testing:

http://www.animalnetwork.com.au/tests/index.php?testid=20

They have a list of accredited collectors on their website or you can have your vet take the swabs. It's worth calling Animal Network to discover what discounts are available e.g. online or volume.

Sylvia Power

Chair, Dogs Victoria Canine Health Committee

Is this something new? I have not done PRCD PRA testing for a while but my last test was done through ASAP with no problems.

Is this something new? I have not done PRCD PRA testing for a while but my last test was done through ASAP with no problems.

No, it's always been the case that Animal Network holds the licence for prcd PRA and CEA testing in Australasia.

No, it's always been the case that Animal Network holds the licence for prcd PRA and CEA testing in Australasia.

Hi Zenchel, I have just been to ASAP Labs website and under the heading 'Genetic Diseases and Traits that we can test for' the first mentioned is PRCD. This is under the Diseases by Breeds for Mini & Toy Poodles.

Regards

Mojopoodle

Hi Mojopoodle,

This is a cut and paste from the ASAP website:

Please note, tests marked with * are patented/licenced. Restriction in certain geographical regions may prevent us from offering these tests. Clients in the US, Europe, Australia and New Zealand please contact us to discuss availability.

and where the disease is listed by name, you will see the asterisk next to it:

Progressive Rod Cone Degeneration - PRA *

Hi Mojopoodle,

This is a cut and paste from the ASAP website:

Please note, tests marked with * are patented/licenced. Restriction in certain geographical regions may prevent us from offering these tests. Clients in the US, Europe, Australia and New Zealand please contact us to discuss availability.

and where the disease is listed by name, you will see the asterisk next to it:

Progressive Rod Cone Degeneration - PRA *

Hi Zenchel

Thank you for your comment.

I guess if the OP wants to know if the testing is available they will need to contact ASAP as suggested by Tapua earlier. ASAP tested my Toy Poodle in 2011 for colours & various other diseases including PRCD.

Regards

Mojopoodle