Dogs Anal Glads

For 100 a visit in a 13-14 yr old dog I'd want to be sure something else wasn't going on (i.e it's not just a simple anal gland expression). I'd be concerned re reoccurring anal gland abcess or anal gland neoplasia.

Consult/Anal gland expression + antibiotics + antiinflammatories = around $100

For an initial check up yes - but the OP said this was a $100 charge every 6 weeks.

My vet will do anal glands for $7.... and he does it internally using a latex glove. I really appreciate that he doesn't price gouge like your $100 vet does!!!

Sometimes I have had to get my old girl done that way but I notice that since she has been on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic diet she doesn't get the problem anywhere near as much as she did when she was on a standard diet. Now all I do is check her when she gets a bath and do it myself from the outside which may not empty the glands as well as the vet does but good enough.

I'm pretty sure there's a fair few videos if you google it. Vets do it internally whether this is the healthiest way or just the least smelly/messy way I dont know. The videos generally show the external way. I've never been shown the internal way so just express them externally. I think the trick is to be gentle but firm and make it quick once it starts coming out increase the pressure slightly till it's all gone. Don't prolong the experience as your dog will hate you for it and you could cause some damage.