Qld Entry Forms

fuzzy82

I recently registered my dogs with Dogs Qld so they can compete. Trouble is, there are no instructions anywhere for this stuff, and I've had to google everything and none of the answers have been on the Dogs Qld website so far. There really should be a new members' package thing with instructions and glossary etc.

But anyway, I contacted them and asked for trial entry forms, and they have sent me a book of show entry forms (I assume you use the same form for everything, but no one told me that). I've looked up upcoming obedience trials (Obedience trial dates pdf) and have found some I'm interested in.

It still assumes that I know what I'm doing though, so hopefully someone here can help, or point me to where the answers are.

What is the column on the left called "W/E" ? Weekend number? And what is MW? (And why is this relevant?)

For the clubs under "Club names" is there a list somewhere of which specific club they are referring to? (To look up to get the location and contact details etc).

"Trial type", is there a list of what they all are? Some of them are pretty obvious, but some of them I don't understand.

And for the entry form, where do you find the entry fee? Contacting each club directly? And as you put one dog per page, do you put the entry fee for the one dog on there, or do you add up the fee for all dogs and all entries and put in the total on each page?

(Sorry of these are dumb questions, but it all seems foreign.)

Congratulations on joining Dogs QLD with your new dogs.

Yes it is all rather confusing when you first start out.

Join a local obedience club and the instructors will help you get into the swing of obedience trialling if you are not already a member.

The forms are used for both conformation and obedience I use to do obedience trials and am now doing confirmation, on the back of the entry forms you will see all the explanation for various show classes etc.

You will recieve in the mail a Dogs QLD magazine each month packed full of lots of interesting information including all the upcoming shows and trials etc, so this will help you work out which ones to do etc.

In the club name section you write the name of the club you are a mmeber of so they can be allocated points (unless this has changed from when I was doing it. With shows you write name of club running event such as Redcliffe show society.

Trial type is on back of form but basically obedience/agility/Jumping/tracking/retrieving/utility etc. So if you are only doing obedience trial you can only enter those your dog is eligible for so to begin with you will enter CCd (community companion dog) and when your dog has accumulated enough points to acquire this title you move to next level etc.

In the schedule of the trials which you get in the magazine all the information is there such as date, location, cost, type of trial etc I will attach one here as an example so you can see what it looks like.

Not sure if you are north side or south side of Brisbane but here are couple links to clubs which may be able to help out with info.

http://www.metrodogclub.com.au/index.htm

http://www.qajdc.com/

http://www.logan-allbreeds-obedience-club.websyte.com.au/

http://www.odcb.org/

I have old style entry form booklet so mine does not have the MW & W/E on the left side of page so can't help you there

You can also purchase from Dogs QLD the obedience/agility/jumpers rule books which are not expensive and contain an amazing amount of information.

post-34794-0-27950200-1361366342_thumb.jpg

Edited by zeebie

Congratulations on joining Dogs QLD with your new dogs.

Yes it is all rather confusing when you first start out.

Join a local obedience club and the instructors will help you get into the swing of obedience trialling if you are not already a member.

The forms are used for both conformation and obedience I use to do obedience trials and am now doing confirmation, on the back of the entry forms you will see all the explanation for various show classes etc.

You will recieve in the mail a Dogs QLD magazine each month packed full of lots of interesting information including all the upcoming shows and trials etc, so this will help you work out which ones to do etc.

In the club name section you write the name of the club you are a mmeber of so they can be allocated points (unless this has changed from when I was doing it. With shows you write name of club running event such as Redcliffe show society.

Trial type is on back of form but basically obedience/agility/Jumping/tracking/retrieving/utility etc. So if you are only doing obedience trial you can only enter those your dog is eligible for so to begin with you will enter CCd (community companion dog) and when your dog has accumulated enough points to acquire this title you move to next level etc.

In the schedule of the trials which you get in the magazine all the information is there such as date, location, cost, type of trial etc I will attach one here as an example so you can see what it looks like.

Not sure if you are north side or south side of Brisbane but here are couple links to clubs which may be able to help out with info.

http://www.metrodogclub.com.au/index.htm

http://www.qajdc.com/

http://www.logan-allbreeds-obedience-club.websyte.com.au/

http://www.odcb.org/

I have old style entry form booklet so mine does not have the MW & W/E on the left side of page so can't help you there

You can also purchase from Dogs QLD the obedience/agility/jumpers rule books which are not expensive and contain an amazing amount of information.

Thank you so much for this, that's great :) Silly me hadn't even though to look at the back of the entry forms :)

Good to know there is more info available on each trial in the magazine than what there was on the pdf I downloaded. I received a magazine when I got my membership confirmation, but I only quickly skimmed through it and didn't notice the schedule. Will have another look.

Not a member of a club. I used to be, but it was too hit and miss which instructor we got, some wanted us to do heeling for 45 minutes and drag the dog along if he was distracted, rather than actually getting his attention and get it right, while other instructors were great fun.

Is it required to be a member of a club? What do you put in club name if you're not a member? N/A?

Is it required to be a member of a club? What do you put in club name if you're not a member? N/A?

No you can be a stand alone competitor at trials and yes you do not have to nominate a club for points the organising obedience club will just absorb your points into their club and be grateful LOL

There are quite a few very good obedience clubs around which use positive re enforcement for teaching dogs the basics etc. Just send me a PM and I can direct you to one in your area that may be suitable.

Most of the info on dogs QLD link as shown above is concerned with the show ring, unfortuneatly Obedience and agility are 2nd cousins to the main purpose which is Showing dogs. That is why it is the obedience clubs themselves where you wll learn the ropes for trialling.

The main thing after working your way through the paper trail is learning the routine for the obedience ring and this is quite complex if you have not done it before. For CCD trial The dog is worked on lead and there is a set routine you need to master for the judge, bear in mind the judge will be moving parrallel to you at all times in the ring giving you instruction on what they want you to do while all the time judging you and your dog as a complete team..

You will do commands at each pace (walk, slow pace/fast pace)sit, down your dog, stand your dog, right turn, left turn, U turn, about turn etc,figure eight with 2 human posts to work around and during this exercise you will be asked to stop and start your dog at heel with dog sitting when you stop etc, you must know correct entry and exit. Then there is the stand for exam in which you leave your dog at end of lead while it stands completely still allowing judge to go over dog, recall and return to heel, follow on from all of this if your dog gets appropriate score you come back for group exercise where all dogs in group come into ring together and do a sit stay for 1 minute and a down stay for 2 minutes while you are out in front of dog. If your dog moves or breaks you are dismissed from ring by steward.

Not wanting to put yu off trialling just an explanation of all you need to know for basic beginner level. Best idea is go along to a trial and watch the CCD class etc to get an idea of how it all works.

This is where being in a club is helpful as you will find once your dog has mastered all the sequences and you progress up to the trialling class you will be doing more interesting work and getting rewards for it. Unfortuneately this constant heeling and having dog moving correctly is very important basic step.

My older dog did basic classes for 2 years until he was good enough to trial, it was hard but I just kept looking forward towards the ultimate goal. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zztcd0wCFo

This is a you tube video showing a senior level dog working off lead and this handler is an excellent example of the team effort.

Thanks for that :) I have done some research so I know which exercises are included, and my dog pretty much knows everything she needs to know, we just need to do more work on grass and proof stuff around people. She's great with distractions, but she loves people so definitely need to work on that. Do the different exercises always happen in the same order for every trial? If so, backchaining would be possible. I've been wondering about that.

I've been planning to start with rally, because it's less scary :) We're only missing a couple of things for rally, and I've got my eye on a trial in April :) If our attempt at rally goes well we will be trying obedience.

We used to train at the club at Lawnton, Pine Rivers Dog Obedience I think it's called? I've been eyeing the one at Redcliffe, but my experience with classes isn't all that great, so I haven't gotten around to checking them out properly. Metropolitan is also close enough that I would consider them.

Do you know any good, fun classes on northside? :)

Edited by fuzzy82

Do the different exercises always happen in the same order for every trial? If so, backchaining would be possible. I've been wondering about that.

No they are varied.

Yes Rally O is fun and beginning you do it on lead just have to know all the stations and movements etc. will PM re training place. :)