Ulcyte And Somac

Are Ulcyte and/or Somac usually prescribed as a precautionary measure for a dog that has had one small bloody vomit and mild lethargy over a period of 24 hours - but no other symptoms of stomach ulcers?

Are these medications safe to give in these circumstances?

Some background info; she had a few small vomits yesterday afternoon but still bright and alert, gum colour fine, appetite fine and no diarrhoea. No dinner last night. Stood up and vomited what appeared to be blood at 1:30am this morning but still bright and alert, another very small pinkish frothy vomit at an hour later. No vomiting since.

She is reasonably bright and active this morning (actually seems pretty much normal), clear eyes, no vomiting, some mild diarrhoea which was a normal colour (no blood), contained grass and was solid toward the end. She has been vet checked, temp is fine, no signs of pancreatitis, appetite is fine and has definitely NOT had access to poisons, medications, chemicals or baits.

She has also been given an anti nausea shot along with an antibiotic shot and prescribed with a weeks worth of Amoxyclav. She will be fed a bland diet for the next week also.

I am fine with the AB's, bland diet and close observation (I will take her back for blood tests if she doesn't improve within the next day or so), but am not entirely comfortable with giving the Ulcyte and Somac without good reason. This is not my regular vet and I was not overly happy with the consult.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Edited by RidgieMal

This will sound silly but did you ask your vet why those medications were prescribed? It looks like they are leaning towards a diagnosis of stomach ulcer and treating for reflux as well.

To be honest I didn't think to ask why as I just wanted to get out of there, and didn't look at the meds properly until we were on our way home.

Yes, the Ulcyte is for stomach ulcers (which I am doubtful that the dog has - she's 18 months old and has no real symptoms). I am unsure of why the reflux Somac was prescribed though? Does it work in conjuction with the Ulcyte perhaps?

To make it more confusing the vet has written 'anti ulcer' on the label of the Somac and told my husband that the Ulcyte is a 'stomach liner'??

However I have now spoken to another vet who has given me some more conservative advice which we will be following.