Van Fit Out For Dogs

Jesscode

We brought our Mercedes Vito(swb) van last year.

We had been searching for something else for the dogs and found exactly what we wanted.

The previous owner must of raced motorbikes and had it all set up with a few bits and pieces.

It has a cargo barrier installed. We only have two seats so wouldn't be without one of them with cages and dogs in the back.

The van was fitted with a big spotlight which can be moved to shine in the van or out the back. It does draw power from the battery so we only use that if we really need to. LED lights along the back roof. Brilliant. Totally totally recommend them. These lights can be switched on and off manually in the front of the van while driving so the passenger can check all is good in the back, or they can be switched on with a toggle switch positioned behind the passenger seat. Our van was installed with an extra power adaptor at the back(cig lighter type) so you can use car fans, pumps for airbeds, socket for fridge. This is extra to the one in the front. Van was installed with checker plating as well which is brilliant.

Sliding door on either side(one with glass one solid)side door and back door have total black shade on the windows. brilliant in summer.

Spare wheel positioned on the side so even if the van is loaded up access is still pretty good to change a tyre.

Hubby built two false floors. One lower on to sit at the front of the van. This supports two travel crates for the Bulldogs. Underneath we can fit the gazebo(so it goes right along both sides) chairs, table and gazebo mat plus bag for pegs etc.

The other false floor is quite a bit taller, but still has room to fit two same size cages on top of it of necessary. Underneath this floor fits or huge esky(110 litre)it has its own space. and then I have my dog essential box(and that is huge as well :laugh: )I can fit another one under there as well, plus a big cooler bag. And then if we don't have the two extra cages we have all the room on top of the larger false floor. The parrot can come with us(she has her own travel cage)

2 x 20 litre water containers can also be stored and we STILL have room.

The furkids love travelling so much they try to get in before we have finished packing.

we did a big road trip down from Toowoomba to Sydney over Easter, and everything was great. Absolutely no hassles.

Hubby thought about sliding drawers, but with that you are limited as you cant store soft stuff, pillows etc around things to use up space.

Oh and all our dog crates have two doors so can open from the sides.

post-27080-0-13382300-1366782379_thumb.jpg

post-27080-0-16528600-1366782455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bullbreedlover

This has been a dream of mine for a very long time and it finally came true last year when I found a second hand 2003 Mercedes Benz Sprinter in excellent condition and a price I was happy to pay, it is designed for me to go away camping with my dogs.

I had the sliding window installed but I still need to have a secondary power system and a caravan awning & annexe installed but I can manage quite will without them for the moment. I am currently checking out what is available for these at the moment.

The kitchenette is from Bunnings and the rest we have built ourselves. Best thing I have bought was the port-a-loo :laugh:

Standing between the 2 bucket seats looking backwards, bed on top, crates with fans underneath, port-a-loo to the right and kitchenette to the left. The van has since been lined with woollen insulation in all the walls, doors and roof, so cosy now.

post-2971-0-94138900-1366800605_thumb.jpg

The kitchenette looking through the sliding side door. The doors are kept closed with velco and small magnets on the inside and the draws have small latch hooks (Velcro wouldn't hold if I went around a corner too fast :laugh: )

post-2971-0-58441400-1366800747_thumb.jpg

View from the back doors, there is storage under the crates and to the sides as well. These crate are my normal fold up metal crates I have plans to eventually make them permanent and have opening both ends for easier access in wet weather.

post-2971-0-52401700-1366800800_thumb.jpg

Until I get my awning & annex I just put a gazebo up and put a couple of puppy fences around it so the dogs have a small area to walk around in so they are not in there cooped up in their crates all the time.

All windows have fly screens and I have made magnetic ones (like the bug mesh ones) to suit the door opening.

All my training gear is kept in the van so when I go away I basically just put my clothes, food and the dogs in the van and we are gone.

Edited by BC4ME