Dog Kibble & Protein Content

Hey,

I have a 4 year old corgi who does not have any known health issues. We've been feeding him a mix of Blackhawk and RMB. The 20kg bag of Blackhawk we bought more than a year ago is about to run out. We've heard some bad feedback regarding Blackhawk since they became more commercialized, hence we're looking to go for a different brand.

My question is, looking around, I realized some dog kibble have their protein content @ 20-25%, while some have them at above 30%. Is there a certain percentage we should be looking for? For example, is 30% too high?

Thank you in advance. :)

Love the Corgis :)

I think it would depend on the total protein source. If you only fed kibble I would go for a higher level. But if it is supplemented with other proteins such as fresh meat and treats I would go for a more moderate level.

This is something I also thought about.

Breakfast is always my own gourmet making, and the rest are kibble with 30% protein. Since brekkie is almost always about 50% minced meat, maybe I'm feeding him too much protein. I'm thinking of reducing the minced meat and putting more veggies and carbs. Suggestions?

This is something I also thought about.

Breakfast is always my own gourmet making, and the rest are kibble with 30% protein. Since brekkie is almost always about 50% minced meat, maybe I'm feeding him too much protein. I'm thinking of reducing the minced meat and putting more veggies and carbs. Suggestions?

Do you feed kibble along with your gourmet breakfast? I am no expert but I would not cut down on the minced meat at breakfast I would cut down on the kibble if you are feeding it at the same time. :) Maybe feed kibble in the evening and continue with the gourmet mix for breaky??