Large Dog Door To Go Into Glass Pane

Sorry, didn't realise you'd asked :o

Sorry, I'm not very good at explaining myself sometimes, but what I mean is make the dog door insert, and around the hole, attach 2 extra pieces of timber on the 2 sides and the bottom, so a cross section would look like a "u" shape, creating a lip for a piece of timber (or sheet metal) to slide in and out of. Then you can latch it. Alternatively, you could keep the cut-out piece, and attach it with hinges to the top of the hole, then use a latch to keep it either open or closed.

Hope that made more sense...

Thanks for getting back to me but unfortunately he won't fit through the opening. It would have been the easiest (and cheapest) solution making a door for him but we're on to plan B!

j, I don't think the Pig in Mud lets you close and lock both the sliding glass door and the security door against it. I need something more secure than that (a bit odd considering the size of the actual opening, I know :) )

They have said that there has to be a lock on latch on the door, but not that it must be latched all the time! There has to be a latch on your front door for most insurance companies but that doesn't mean you can't use it..

Most commercial pet doors do have a latch and are lockable when required, I'm sure the Pig In Mud and other sliding door inserts probably do as well. :)

Yes, this was what our insurance company said when I enquired about putting a large dog door in. I was quite specific that a person could fit through the flap. Apparently as long as the dog door is lockable, we are covered. The security screen is lockable and abuts the insert (so doesnt cover over the dog flap). The dog door (sliding door insert type) we bought also had a galvanized panel that slides into grooves inside the house to block the flap.

So if I want my dog to stay outside ( eg. with a manky bone) or inside (eg. when we are mowing the lawn) I can quickly block the dog door. I leave it accessable most of the time though.

We bought a Patio link XL sliding door insert. They are expensive brand new (over $500 in WA) but I picked mine up through Gumtree for $150. Worth keeping an eye out for 2nd hand ones. The glass panels of the door are toughened glass, so the same glass as in existing sliding doors. :)

RM, that looks like a good, inexpensive door :thumbsup: Do you know whether you can lock both the glass door and the security door against it? There's quite a lot of reading on their website so I will definitely read through it tomorrow. Thanks!

trinabean, thank you for the info, it's what I wanted to know. Off to look on gumtree though when I looked a couple of weeks ago there were none.

RM, that looks like a good, inexpensive door :thumbsup: Do you know whether you can lock both the glass door and the security door against it? There's quite a lot of reading on their website so I will definitely read through it tomorrow. Thanks!

Ours fits into the frame of the glass sliding door, the screen security door can be completely closed and locked behind it if need be (which obviously blocks the dog flap). If you use the patio bolt you can lock that into place behind the glass door so that it cannot be opened without a key, you can then leave the security door open to access the flap but still keep the glass door locked if you get whet I mean. I see they also have a temporary bar lock now too. http://www.temporarypetdoor.com.au/locks.html

You may need to remove the latch from the inner part of the glass door frame to get the panel to sit flush but that's relatively simple to do (two screws) and easy to put back on if need be.

There's no "installation" process either, it just pops in and out of the frame. So if you are leaving the house and want to take the door out for security you can easily lift it out and lock both doors normally.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Ours fits into the frame of the glass sliding door, the screen security door can be completely closed and locked behind it if need be (which obviously blocks the dog flap). If you use the patio bolt you can lock that into place behind the glass door so that it cannot be opened without a key, you can then leave the security door open to access the flap but still keep the glass door locked if you get whet I mean. I see they also have a temporary bar lock now too. http://www.temporarypetdoor.com.au/locks.html

You may need to remove the latch from the inner part of the glass door frame to get the panel to sit flush but that's relatively simple to do (two screws) and easy to put back on if need be.

There's no "installation" process either, it just pops in and out of the frame. So if you are leaving the house and want to take the door out for security you can easily lift it out and lock both doors normally.

Hope that helps.

Hi RidgieMal,

just wanted to let you know OH installed our temporarypetdoor on the weekend...it's now not very temporary at all as it's been riveted into the door frame. We also bought the adapter which allows you to lock your screen door without blocking access to the dog door. Now we sit huddled under the blanket watching TV and Casper walks in and out and in and out at his leisure!

I have to say, it's a very solidly made panel and cheaper than some others out there. So, thanks a stack for the recommendation :thumbsup: , much appreciated!