Mouth Wash For Dogs?

ktn

Besides brushing, is there any water based liquids that will work in killing plaque? I've heard of hexarinse, aquadent, and some algae additive you can add in water.

Has anyone used products like this that will work? I'm afraid that brushing with vetbasic tartar control toothpaste is not enough. My dog only has very little back teeth, so finding chews and using chicken necks is a problem as they're either too hard or she'll swallow these whole and risk of choking is high.

I might give bones a go again co but still confused on what exactly to give for a very small dog (5kg). We had chicken necks before but I am not sure whether she can manage them and what sizes to give. Small enough that she can swallow them by mistake if need be? If I get very big ones she might get big chunks swallowed isn't that worse?

She pretty much has no useful molars left. What do people give their toothless or near toothless dogs?

j3c my dog is cavalier size - what other tooth cleaning regime do you use, and does the mouthwash help? I am wondering if active ingredient in dog toothpaste actually kills plaque?

Ktn, rather than the chicken necks, how about trying a chicken wing? You can get the boomerang wings (three joints) that she should be able to manage. My old Aussie, Poochie ended up needing a lot of her teeth removed due to having a crappy diet of tinned food and table scraps, and she could manage a wing.

If you're not keen on the chicken wing, you could even just give her a cheap cut of steak raw to gnaw on -- like chuck or something. That way, being raw will help keep your girl's teeth cleaner.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

What sort of a bite does your dog have?

No amount of bone chewing is going to assist with tartar control on a dog with an incorrect (ie not level of scissor) bite.

The ONLY thing I've found that works for my Toy Poodle is regular cleaning by the vet. She doesn't have an incorrect bite but no amount of bones have made any difference to the tartar build up :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets