Training Advice Please - About To Get A Dog!

Well, I have got myself a Collie - picked her up on Saturday. She is a good girl, quiet and very patient. I feel she is bonding very quickly and she wants to be with me/us all the time. I am a bit hesitant to try "training" her too much before I get some expert help/tips as I dont want to do the wrong thing by her.

She has a check chain (yes worn the correct way and never used harshly). She has been a show dog so she is used to it and in fact wags her tail when she sees me carrying it. She moves really nicely on a lead, doesnt pull much.

I am wondering what the best training food/treats would be? At first she liked smackos but now seems to have lost interest. She got a whiff of my dim sim the other day and nearly mobbed me for it. Not sure what her breeder would think if I was to start feeding her dim sims!

Guest Tess32

Congrats :rofl:

I use smackos for the boring stuff, and chicken or cheese for high value treats.

Roast chicken is the bees knees for Reilly, he drools.

Nat

I have some cocktail franks here but not sure what my plan of attack should be. Its a nice day so she has been outside all morning although Ive visited her and had a couple of play sessions. She seems happy resting, sniffing around her new garden and stalking pigeons.

Theres a few balls in the garden. She loves kicking big ones around by herself but loses interest if you try to join in the game. Ive got a funny green dimpled squeaky ball thingy that I tried tossing, and she actually fetched it for me, brought it right back. She did this three times and got lavish praise in return. I then tried it again an hour or so later, and whilst she ran up to it all she did was plant her nose on it and sniff it and then walked off. So I feel she hasnt really learnt and I feel disappointed. How can I motivate her to get interested in that object again? (if I have food with me she will just hang around for food and wont go off anywhere)

Personally i give my dogs about 10 days settling in time without really getting into training. All they learn is basic manners in those 10 days e.g. dont jump up, dont snatch food, sit and wait for their food bowl to go down, give up a toy/bone (careful as you are teaching an adult not a pup).

Just being in a new environment will effectively tire her a little anyway, and she still needs to work out you are her owner/master. Frankfurters slice thinly (about 1mm thick slices). With collies being a little shy, i wouldnt go to overboard with the hugs,kisses, loud voice rewards as it may intimidate her a little, keep it to praise and rubbed head/chest

Personally at this stage i would reward 'bonding behaviour', ie. sit down with her and if she makes eye contact with you give her a reward, and if she comes when called reward her.

Train on an empty stomach, i always train just before their morning and evening meals. Training does not need to be lenghty sessions, little and often works better. as far as intitailly getting her to come when called that doesnt need to be formal session. I will often just call my dog when he is in the same room just to enforce that he is required to respond appropriately.

Find good toy motivator - i take my dogs to the pet supply and let them choose, squeaky or rabbit fur is always popular.

Dont expect progress in leaps and bounds at this stage, just enjoy yourself becoming her best freind for a while. While you are doing that go and see a few obedience schools - go and watch them train and find the style you are comfortable with.

ETA. carry a few food rewards just in your pocket, so if she does something you like e.g. coming to you without being called you can reward her on the spot.

Edited by dogdayz

Thanks Dogdayz, thats pretty good advice some of which had never occured to me.

I feel "Rosie" is bonding really well. She responds quite well to a happy "Rosie, come!" and normally I just praise her or give her a little morsel of something. She is eating, drinking, sleeping (and pooping!) well and doesnt seem stressed. She is a bit of a nosey thing (nosey rosie....). The first night she was angelic and placid, happy to be a couch (floor) potato with us.

She has been doing alot more exploring and portraying cheeky behavior the last day or so. She was sitting up like jackie on the sofa while we were eating dinner in the kitchen (we are NOT encouraging sitting on sofas/beds). She never seems to go in my office yet I found tissues strewn all over the floor. She must be attracted to soft things. Last night she was carrying something furry around and getting all excited. When I removed it from her mouth I found it to be an old coin purse I had that was made of rabbit fur. Cheeky thing had been in my storage room and i have no idea where she found it.

I am trying very hard to food motivate my boy, haven't found that "Millon Dollar Food" yet

I have in the last two weeks discovered smoked chicken - skye will do anything you ask of her for some of this, where other food rewards have pretty much worn out their usefulness with her. She is even working for the clicker with it - something she has refused to do before.

"With collies being a little shy, i wouldnt go to overboard with the hugs,kisses, loud voice rewards as it may intimidate her a little, keep it to praise and rubbed head/chest"

Funny you mention this. I have discovered Rosie loves to be hugged quite firmly, especially if Ive not seen her for a couple hours and I go out to spend time with her, I enthusiastically say "cuddles for rosie" and give her a big cuddle around the head/chest. I am normally sitting on the step so Im down at her level. She gets so excited and moans and groans (as collies do) , the tail wagging and she licks me all over - neck, face, ears!!

Guest Tess32

She sounds like a nice, confident girl.

Reilly also gets extremely silly when I get home, though his kisses are often rather like being poked with a very long nose :rofl:

Reilly loves to steal stuff but only to invite playtime - tissues are always being eaten and underwear being stolen :rofl:

I'd just give her time to settle in :rofl:

Nat

Thats good then.

I know Skye will even get disturbed by some owners at training who go into huge excitement sessions with their own dog, even though she is very outgoing herself.

Skye is also a terror for tissues she tears them up into little pieces.

Ive just been outside taking photos of Rosie playing soccer. She loves the "soccer" ball but seems to ignore other balls. This is so distracting having a dog! Heres a photo of her before she marched off again.....

post-9-1113807954.jpg

Hi Chezzyr,

Lovely to see a piccie of Rosie :rofl: She seems a nice happy dog, just give her time to settle in.

She never seems to go in my office yet I found tissues strewn all over the floor. She must be attracted to soft things. Last night she was carrying something furry around and getting all excited. When I removed it from her mouth I found it to be an old coin purse I had that was made of rabbit fur.

Ahhh the dreaded Collie disease! All my Collies have ripped up tissues, my last blue merle girl liked car sponges too. Duncan confiscated my moccies, sheep skin is his favourite. He's almost eaten them and now keeps pinching the ones made of the fake stuff :rofl:

Dogdayz,

have in the last two weeks discovered smoked chicken

Hmm, shall have to try. Ham and chicken loaf worked for a while but he got too much of it at Puppy Preschool and Basic and got bored with it I think.

cheers,

Corine

Edited for bad typing!

Edited by fido666

Guest Tess32

Oh she is gorgeous!

Looks like a character too :mad

They do love to rip up tissues....I give reilly a tissue as a reward for 'come' sometimes as I don't mind him doing it.

Nat