Angels'eyes - Sweet Potato

Erny you would need to look for independent studies as most information about the causes of it that appears on quick internet searches seems to be written by various product-owning companies...

For anyone doubting the serious nature of this antibiotic Tylosin (and that includes those who try to say it is not an antibiotic), there is some further information here:

http://www.apvma.gov.au/publications/gazette/2001/12/gazette0112p33.php

I know this is old but it is also current. Studies on resistance and similar can take very long periods as that is the nature of the problem.

As far as I know (and from my own observations) the staining is fungal.

I have two parti greyhounds- one has really heavy staining around his mouth (he looks like a filthy child at times) and the other has absolutely no staining. Both are fed the same diet, both live indoors (at least 23 hours a day) and they are of a similar age. The difference, so far as I can tell, is that the male has a wet mouth and the female doesn't.

He has been on antibiotics (of differing types) for a few different things but those antibiotics had absolutely no effect on his staining. Interestingly, his teeth/gums are far better than hers, ruling out it being related to dental health but also suggesting that the amount of saliva seems to play a part- when he does the crazy shake, saliva goes everywhere, when she shakes, nothing.

I've had a smell of the skin around his mouth (as well as his breath) and while the breath is fine, the staining does have an odour. I've never done anything about his staining because it doesn't bother him and he's otherwise healthy for a elderly dog but in the interests of science, I might pick up some natural yoghurt for him and see if that makes any difference :D

Assuming it is fungal, i'd guess the causes would be similar to cause of overgrowth in humans- a warm, wet area to start with and then something happening to trigger the overgrowth: stress, antibiotics, compromised immune system, etc.

Panda does have peculiar odour about him that appears to be coming from his eyes when they are tearing.

Diet can be related to tear staining and Luvsdogs is right - it can be fungal related. To help reduce the bacteria building up you can give the eyes and affected skin area a rinse wash using Calendula Tea (get good quality, no-additives or colouring - can be obtained via your health food store). But I'd still look at diet to assist the immune system.