Low Progesterone In Pregnancy

mini girl

I have decided to put this in the forum in the hope that perhaps it may help others with the problem of low progesterone in a pregnancy and the loss of pups born too early.

This happened to one of my beautiful girls who lost her first litter at day 51 - such a heartbreak for both my girl and me - but the next time I bred her she was under the care of a reproduction vet and when her progesterone levels fell she was given oral progesterone tablets and the result was 8 beautiful pups born naturally and all fine. I bred her one more time same as before with the help of progesterone and another beautiful litter resulted - third time was an accidental mating just before Christmas she came into season early - but she again with the same help delivered another beautiful litter and then I had her desexed - I did not keep one of her pups as althought I would have loved to did not wish to take the risk even though I had read forums where 2 female daughters from a bitch with this had gone on to produce pups with no progesterone falling problems in the pregnancy.

Anyway to get to the point - one of the pups from the first litter was bought by a lady with full disclosure of the mothers condition - and she did decide to breed her - possibly not the decision I would have made but the girl is lovely and a temperament to die for. As the lady owner does not live near any reproduction vets - 5 hours drive away - the pregnant girl is here with me till after her pups are born - she is 59 days tomorrow - but I had advised her owner to have her checked just in case by my reproduction vet to see if what her mother has had by chance been passed on - well her progesterone levels were low and at 6.5 weeks she went on a tablet a day - and as said is now 59 days tomorrow - she seems fine in all ways as her mother did - and my reproduction vet was somewhat but not totally surprised that it has been passed down - he did say its not very common at all but you can never be sure. The pregnant girl's levels dropped to 15 before suppliments were given and my vet said that when they start to get around 20 or lower best to suppliment. I also asked how low it must get before the pregnancy is in danger - he said 6 - but that seems really low. He also said there is no real research to proove just why it does happen but it does seem to happen more often these days. I have advised the owner not to breed again -sell all pups as pets and enjoy her girl as a pet. I do so hope all will go well now for the birth in the next few days.

As said just sharing this information with other breeders - it may be helpful to know that this conditon can be passed down - my girl who had it had come from very good lines with no record of it happening before - also 2 of my girls sisters have had normal pregnancies still a bit of a mystery but would love to know a bit more about it.

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has come across this.

Just an update on this. The girl had a text book delivery of. 4 healthy puppies at day 63 after stopping progesterone tablets at day 59 She is settled and feeding her pups which were a good size and very strong. Happy ending for all.

Just an update on this. The girl had a text book delivery of. 4 healthy puppies at day 63 after stopping progesterone tablets at day 59 She is settled and feeding her pups which were a good size and very strong. Happy ending for all.

:thumbsup: That's great news. It must be a worry even with vet supervision & the right treatment. Hope the litter thrives & mum is all ok.

Not a thing I have any experience with but it was good of you to share the info. We can all, always learn something new. You never know when it may be you who it happens to.

• 2 weeks later...