Puppy Tricks

seld

Hello everyone,

I have a lovely 14 week old English Mastiff and am trying to think about some things I can teach her. She's finished preschool, and only seems interested in doing things where she gets to sit down. She can wave and almost has 'speak' down. The only thing she really hates doing is to lay, I guess its a long way down for her to go.

Does anyone have any fun suggestions? Nothing requiring any agility though!

Shake hands (both paws)

Wave (both paws)

Hi 5 (both paws)

Spin (both directions)

Roll over (both directions)

Sleepy (lie on their side)

Creep/comando crawl

have a look in the training thread as you'll find lots of tricks suggestions in there, it's just a matter of picking and choosing what is going to be appropriate for your dog!!

Shake hands (both paws)

Wave (both paws)

Hi 5 (both paws)

Spin (both directions)

Roll over (both directions)

Sleepy (lie on their side)

Creep/comando crawl

have a look in the training thread as you'll find lots of tricks suggestions in there, it's just a matter of picking and choosing what is going to be appropriate for your dog!!

Thanks, Ill have a look. I know she can crawl as she insists that she can still fit under our bed!

Be careful of crawl, jumping, begging & weaving especially for a large breed puppy. You don't want to damage those growing bones & joints. Not something you want to do until she's at least 18 months old.

As above with paws. You could also teach play bow, marching where she lifts her front paws in time with you doing the same.

Rear end awareness where she puts her front &/or rear paws on a low, steady box/phone book. If you have a long ladder you can teach her to walk along the rungs. Also teaches rear end awareness. You know she's got it when you no longer hear the feet hitting the rungs.

Pushing on a child's spinning top with either paws or nose.

Nose touches to your hand or a target stick or object. Can lead to her closing doors.

Edited by luvsdogs

Be careful of crawl, jumping, begging & weaving especially for a large breed puppy. You don't want to damage those growing bones & joints. Not something you want to do until she's at least 18 months old.

As above with paws. You could also teach play bow, marching where she lifts her front paws in time with you doing the same.

Rear end awareness where she puts her front &/or rear paws on a low, steady box/phone book. If you have a long ladder you can teach her to walk along the rungs. Also teaches rear end awareness. You know she's got it when you no longer hear the feet hitting the rungs.

Pushing on a child's spinning top with either paws or nose.

Nose touches to your hand or a target stick or object. Can lead to her closing doors.

Love the marching idea! I'll have to research it!