Is This Pay Back?

twodoggies2001

I am wondering if this situation is indeed pay back. I have two mini schnauzers, Jasper who is almost 6 years old and Elliot who is 17 months old. They get along beautifully and would play most of the day. I had occasion to have my cousin's mini schnauzer here for 3 weeks while the family was away on holiday. Harry, my cousin's boy who is older than Jasper and Elliot seemed to pair up and like some kids, it seemed that three's a crowd. they virtually ignored Jasper even though it seemed that he at times wanted to join in.

Now that Harry has been gone for 2 weeks now, Jasper doesn't seem to play with Elliot as in the past, even though Elliot tries to initiate play. Am I right in thinking this is pay back?

I am wondering if this situation is indeed pay back. I have two mini schnauzers, Jasper who is almost 6 years old and Elliot who is 17 months old. They get along beautifully and would play most of the day. I had occasion to have my cousin's mini schnauzer here for 3 weeks while the family was away on holiday. Harry, my cousin's boy who is older than Jasper and Elliot seemed to pair up and like some kids, it seemed that three's a crowd. they virtually ignored Jasper even though it seemed that he at times wanted to join in.

Now that Harry has been gone for 2 weeks now, Jasper doesn't seem to play with Elliot as in the past, even though Elliot tries to initiate play. Am I right in thinking this is pay back?

Nope - dogs don't think like that, they don't have the same thought processes as humans. While people often misinterpret dogs as being 'guilty' (think of those videos with dogs that have destroyed something, and owners going "Fido.. did you do this?? WAS THIS YOU??") or anthropomorphise in various ways, it's really dogs reacting to the behaviour of the humans. Ie their tone of voice, their body language, etc, but that's all it is. Dogs aren't vindictive or anything like that :) (And thank god, otherwise I'm sure none of my foster dogs would ever have trusted me or loved me at all, cause god knows humans have given most of them enough reason to want to get back at the human race!)

Edited by Alkhe