Puppy Problems

Aleksandra 157

I use a halti and it's excellent. My pup still pulls a little, but it's easily controllable, and far easier to offer a correction. I was very hesitant initially, but I just wouldn't be able to walk him without it otherwise, at the moment. Maybe someone with more training experience than me could manage without it, but I can't.

I love the halti head collar- I have a GSDxRottie who is a major puller- semi chokes and harnesses did nothing, he just ploughed ahead. With the halti I find him much more behaved and I feel more confident and in control. I had him on double leashes for awhile, but swapped over to just using the halti, I find him more responsive on it and I feel a lot better about handling him with it. A couple of pointers though if you decide to use it...

Get Jesse used to it in a positive sense first, my staffyXrottie HATES putting his halti on because I rushed him with it at first, so before walks we play "when are you going to stick your nose in it!" for 5 minutes or so. So definetly make sure that HE puts his nose into the halti, and that it is a positive experience! I've read that a lot of people suggest sit, nose in, treat, then wear it for food, and give them lots of positive rewards with it on or just wearing it, to reinforce that the halti is a good thing.

Be careful of "whiplash" with the Halti; do NOT yank straight back for corrections because the dog will just drag you everywhere (also, hurts your shoulder.) Pull gently from the side and up/back a little, just a little tug to make them pay attention.

With my GSDX i really foucs on, the minute he pulls I make a corrective noise (a special whistle) then tug, and walk backwards until he has turned around and looked at me. I'll keep walking backwards until he does! A RSPCA trainer showed me that trick 6 months ago and now my boy is a DREAM to walk, instead of a pulled-muscle chore.

The halti is a great tool, but like any tool, dogs can AND WILL learn to get around it if they get the oppurtunity.

Good luck with Jesse =)

I quite like the Halti and have used it with my ractive girl. Key things - get them used to wearing it before walking them with it, always walk with the lead only about 30cm long so they don't hurt their neck if they do lunge (never let a dog walk on a full length leash with a head halter on, you're just asking for injury). Using the halti will probably make you a bit more calm and confortable and that will translate to your dog and assist with his training.

some great tips there dartuche - i'll be giving the backwards walking a try I think!

I just avoid walking towards our local dog park lately, cos he's such a PITA. We have a much nicer walk going in any other direction. Will see if that helps :)