First Ever Obedience Class

I have a very distracted 8 month old Brittany and have just gone back to dog club after some private tuition and practise at home. I explained to the instructor what my goals are with him & that I would be moving away from the class if I felt it was all getting to much for him or if he was just getting too distracted. She thought that was a great idea and is all for it.

Sometimes I go off and have a game of tug with him, just to break it up or to help get his focus back on me, or I will just move away but keep doing what everyone else is doing - it all depends on how I feel he is going. The difference it has made has been huge. I also find that playing with him in his little breaks helps me to keep it fun for the both of us. Nothing worse than spending the tie both hating it.

Thanks for the tips Staff'nToller - I have been sort of doing that lol ... think I might need to move out of formation completely. It's just frustrating when I know he is so much better behaved at home.

I feel like our bond is a bit strained in the classes as well... Hunter and I are both big softies whereas the Instructors are very non nonsense and firm... Hunter never really looks like he is enjoying himself.

I know my inexperience is as much (if not more!) the problem as the dogs ... I am also a complete gumby so getting footwork and hand signals and everything working at the right time is a challenge for me :laugh: I;m a bit special :p

Good idea (when no-one is looking LOL)to practise footsteps and signals, etc without the dog, if your act is together, you only have to worry about listening to instructions and conveying things to your dog (dogs need feedback too) Surprising how much better dogs get when they think the handler knows what they are doing!! We all had first dogs and. wonderful creatures that they are, they all forgave us........enjoy..................they never had lists like this when I started out 30 years ago.............

thanks for the advice guys ... practicing my footwork etc might be the way to go! I missed it when they were discussing it in the class as I was off with another trainer trying to deal with Hunter's hatred of the halti lol

I think I am proabably getting frustrated/stressed and this is communicating to Hunter as well which could be why he isn't having fun - poor boy, having to deal with a newbie :(

It can be quite difficult if you have two dogs in the class who are best friends or live together or related (even worse) as you found with the howling dog.

If they are going to disrupt the class, they are better off working next to each other, or better still, only one dog is on the grounds and the other is elsewhere (preferably at home).

No matter how much we inform owners of siblings or house mate dogs to do tonnes of separate walking and trips before 16 weeks, they either don't do it or don't do it nearly enough. :(

yes this will be interesting for us next week too ... Juno will be coming along for her first class (if she is recovered enough from desexing)... I must admit that i am one of those people who hasn't separated them enough :dunce: ... obviously I didn't really think it through enough!

Juno has been handling staying at home by herself the last couple of weeks ok but it will be interesting to see how they do in class together. My first instinct would be to separate them in class but will have to see how they go I guess. :doh:

It's a lot to take in especially behind a dog determined to do his own thing. I've just started privately because of his DA issues and I'm still finding the order of things like reward, release, marker word very difficult.

The trainers are way stricter than me, really I'm just a giant treat dispenser but boy does he work for them. Couple of slightly growly words or pops on the leash and Mr " I'm considering all my options here" suddenly can just do what he's told. I had bought into the whole bulldogs are different thing but turns out with the right training they respond just like any other dog.

Your dogs might be fine, it's just my personal observation. :)

Given the cartwheels Hunter has been doing when they are reunited after work (Juno as been contained as she just got desexed), I'm thinking we may have an issue :laugh: Guess we will see next week :p

I may just be buying into the stereotypes of bulldogs Hankdog but I can imagine how stubborn your boy can be :laugh: I now what you mean about the instructors seeming to get instant results... there were a few dogs doing helicoptor impersonations last class but the sure pulled into line quickly when the instructor got a hold of them! jake has probably perfected the same sad/innocent face that Hunter has to keep us from being firm with them :D