Barking Dog Problem

shapeshifter

I've recently moved and have a barking dog issue with a dog across the road. The way the house next door to the dog is built means that when it barks it bounces straight off it and up to us as we sit about 5 metres higher.

I went to see them at midnight tonight after at least 2 hours of incessant barking and I really do mean absolutely non stop.

The dog, looks like a maltese of sorts, is out the front of the house in a fenced area that includes the front door, so as I approached the house it went crazy and off it's nut so the lady turned the light on and opened the door to tell it off (finally) and then saw me standing there. The dog took off into another doorway further down the house, so it does have access to inside the house.

I had a quick conversation and she stated that she doesn't know what to do about it and that if she's home she puts it inside, ummm lady you are at home and it's been barking for 2 hours at least.

Two weeks ago it was still barking at 2am!!! it had been barking for at least 4 hours non stop, at which time I went outside with a torch and shone it down there to see what was going on, suddenly there was quiet talking and doors opening and closing and the dog was quiet.

They definitely have a problem with it as even when it's inside it barks non stop, yes I can hear it even then.

I suggested a collar of some sort and she said 'yes I'll do that'.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any links to brochures or leaflets they have done themselves that I could print out and give her.

I want to at least try to help before I start reporting them to the council.

This sort of thing really cheeses me off. People have small companion dogs and leave them outside at night to bark and annoy the neighbours when the solution often is quite simple - confine the dog inside and verbally correct when it barks! I had a similar problem with a neighbour's small maltese outside at night barking at wildlife. I suggested perhaps it would be better if the little dog could be inside somewhere where it would not be able to see possums etc. I was told "oh he's an outside dog" and later I found out that they had put an e-collar on him to stop the barking instead :mad

I don't know what you can do if they are not even willing to try any simple solutions - perhaps just suggest that the dog may be quieter inside at night because it will not be able to see anything to set it off.

Rosetta I have figured out that they bought the house in 2007 and the dog isn't a puppy so how long has this been going on, I haven't got friendly with the other neighbours yet to know but either nothing has been said before or they are just ignoring complaints.

I wasn't suggesting an e-collar, I did actually say a citronella collar, but if it comes down to it that they try all the other collars first and they don't work then maybe that is where they have to go with it if it's a behaviour modification that is needed.

It doesn't actually bark at anything moving, it just stands there and barks and barks and barks.

I really do want to be nice about it, I told her that I'm not against dogs and that I only lost my dog last year.

I can even put up with the barking during the evenings, when the TV is on, it can drown out the noise but not at midnight and 2am when I'm trying to sleep.

huski thank you, I think your PM box is full as it's not accepting any more PMs :)