Malamutes

fluff1234

Asking here as the Malamute page seems to be abandoned :(

Hi all.

We are currently researching for our second dog

Our samoyed is 15 weeks and we will be adding a female friend when he is around 1 and desexed.

We also have 2 rescue cats, so rescue Mal will be out, as they all say no pocket pets!

We love the artic breeds and was owned and loved by 2 sammies in the UK.

I do however have a pure love for Huskies and Malamutes.

I do not think the running, energetic husky might be as good a match as the slower lovable Malamute.

I am after information from those who live with Malamutes.

I have dones research and had 10 yrs coping with lots hair, double coats, selective hearing and following commands with my sammies.

This time round we are training, our sammie is in training and will be for long term and we will train our addition. As we want one when he is around 1 and he is already almost 4 mths, we are trying to get as much information as possible. We will be getting him a companion, so if it turns out another samoyed is best for him, then so be it, but I cannot pass by attempting a Mal or husky in my lifetime, I have craved this breed for many many years but it wasnt right for us at the time.

All info is welcome

We live on a half acre with a Mal who lives at the back of us and will be giving plenty of exercise.. :)

Edited by fluff1234

Good fences are a must, preferably over 6ft. I don't have a mally but I do have an akita and if he wanted to he could easily jump our 6ft fence, in fact he can almost put his feet up on the top of the fence if he stands on his hind legs.

Also while speaking of good fences if you will need to make sure the mally won't be able to get through it either, Not sure if you have livestock around you but I would think that Mally's have pretty high prey drive.

I know you say no rescues but it really couldn't hurt to give an arctic rescue a call they will probably be able to give you some information as to why they are sometimes found in shelters and what you could do to avoid that as an owner as well as getting in contact with some registered breeders of both breeds :)

Good Luck :)

--Lhok

Thanks :) The one reason we were going to go with Mals as they dont climb and our fence is only approx 4 ft, the one at the back hasnt ever attemted to climb it even when we had chickens...

Will check that out, as all I can find researching, is they dig, like a samoyed does :)

No lifestock nearby :)

thanks for the reply

Ummmm a malamute won't have to do any climbing to get over a 4ft fence....

Escapism depends on the individual dog's personality and also on whether its requirements are being met, exercise, stimulation and company etc.

Some will escape as long as they can see a way, just because they want to. Please don't assume that no malamute will go over a 4ft fence.

Yes sibes are more prone to being escape artists but I know an awful lot of mallys that can and do escape as well. Aside from elderly dogs which couldn't physically jump the one rescue arctic I know of who could be rehomed to a property with 4ft fences like yo

u have described is a husky.

Re cat friendliness that is usually assessed on an individual dog basis so if a rescue is known to be cat friendly that will usually be mentioned in their profile. If it is unknown best to err on the side of caution. Since you have no urgency to find a friend you could keep your eye out for a suitable cat friendly rescue if you want to. However it will be very hard to find one that can also be trusted with 4ft fences.

Think about what you want in your second dog as well. Do you want an older one which may teach or calm your younger dog? Do you want another young dog, bearing in mind your sammie will be starting to hit peak energy and "teenage" years?

SInce you've never owned either a sibe or a moot why not go to some of the social events (if there are some in your area) and spend some time with a range of sibes and moots? Talk to their owners see how your sammie goes with them etc.

Not sure what part of QLD you are in but there are regular sibe and moot walks in the Brisbane and Gold Coast areas, maybe others too.

You have plenty of time to work out what you want which is great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help :)

My hubby also has a work collegue who breeds them in another state, registered breeder so will get him to ask lot :) Will also find a Mal club. I do know somebody who had 2 Mals for 12 yrs and said a pup Mal would be suitable hen my sammy got to around 1. I am not wanting a large age gap in the dogs as we had companion issues with our old sammies, they didnt get along. We have been researching in preventing that this tiem and age gap is a big deal for us.

Interesting to know about the fence. I had read they didnt climb or jump fences and from those I know and watch with Mals they dont. But obviusly this is a small sample and what reports say on the net.

The Mal at the back is 2 yrs old and wouldnt be able to climb over the fence without jumping, she has tried to get in when we got our puppy, but couldnt.

I am also at home and would never leave them alone unsupervised :) we are also a active famly with lots of kids for stimulation and exercise. I will def ask around to try and visit some other than the one at the end of the garden :)

Hopefully there will be some at training too..