Pain Management: Good Science-based Article

sandgrubber

Sometimes you come across an article that is so good you want to share it. Here's one on pain management. The author is a vet + additional training and shows strong compassion for animals. It is also well referenced and pretty cautious.

http://www.2ndchance.info/pain.htm

Here's a brief extract from a long article

There are some general rules when using pain control medications in dogs and cats. The first is to give the medication early, before the pain becomes too intense. The second is to give lower doses of two or more pain control medications that have different modes of action rather than a higher dose of a single medication. Often, what we call a "second tier" medication that is weaker but has fewer side effects is added to a "first tier" medication that is more powerful (but more dangerous) in order to keep the first tier drug dose low.

Doses need to always be kept to the bare minimum that gives your pet acceptable relief. Older patients generally need lower doses less frequently than younger, more robust, pets. Its also wise to check your pet's kidney and liver function before and during the use of most pain control medications.

I agree that it is a thorough and sensible article and certainly this is the type of approach I take with pain management.

A note about the use of NSAIDs in cats however - I by no means disagree that cats are more sensitive to the effects of these drugs and they should be used with caution, however the rate of adverse effects in Australia appears to be lower than in the USA. I don't know of a significant reason why. There are freely accessible publications on the guidelines for the use of NSAIDs in cats so they can be safely use with due care and attention to the individual patients health status.

+1

Same advice applies to humans, too!

I read a lot about people concerned about side effects, but you pain itself causes effects e.g. chronic stress, behavioural issues etc.

To help relieve the cost of pain relief, some human medications can be used for dogs also- talk to your vet and adjust doses unless your dog weighs 80kg.