Feet

Hamish still has somewhat easty westy feet. And he sits a little low on his pasterns (I think that is the right way to describe it - he's a bit flat footed!). Anyway I was told that using Vitamin C in his food could help towards correcting these things. Obviously along with a few other things including exercising on different surfaces etc.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any expereince in this or if you have used Vitamin C in your dogs what product did you use and what was the dosage? Can you use a human Vitamin C?

I use calcium ascorbate as it's supposed to be gentler on the stomach and more readily absorbed and utilised by the body. I give my BC a teaspoon a day, mixed in his food. You can keep upping the dose every couple of days until it makes their poos runny, then drop back to the level the dog can tolerate.

Hamish still has somewhat easty westy feet. And he sits a little low on his pasterns (I think that is the right way to describe it - he's a bit flat footed!). Anyway I was told that using Vitamin C in his food could help towards correcting these things. Obviously along with a few other things including exercising on different surfaces etc.

Anyway I'm wondering if anyone has any expereince in this or if you have used Vitamin C in your dogs what product did you use and what was the dosage? Can you use a human Vitamin C?

Why not start by asking his breeder?

My pup was the same, her breeder said to use ester c from the pharmacy. I used it and her feet are now perfect. However I'm not 100% convinced it was the vit c that did it, or if it was just time or dietary change????? All the vets I have spoken to dont believe that it will help the feet in any way. The ester c supplement does have calcium in it, so long term use could affect the way that the dogs body produces calcium. The breeder also reccomended giving chicken neck/wings twice daily! I figured it was worth a try! good luck!

I used ester c on my dobermann who was a bit flat footed, at 3 years old she has the most AMAZING feet. I also used ester c on my other dobe who was east west - didn't help she was east west until literally a month ago when her chest dropped a bit (gained more muscle).. In my experience a dog who is east - west at 6 or so months will always be a little east - west (depending on size of breed). I don't like messing around with supplements anymore but it couldn't hurt to add some orange juice and pulp or kiwi fruit to his dinner a few times a week. I have heard that they urinate out the excess vitamin c so you cannot overdose so to speak but I have also heard if you supplement it they stop absorbing it from natural sources (of course I have no idea which is true).

Walking a dog on sand or little rocks (pebbles) is great for tightening feet. (from experience).

Hope this helps in some way, sorry too much coffee!

Yes, I have used Vit C to help with down on pasterns/splayed feet in puppies. Over the years I've heard about it from several people with decades of experience in dogs, and in my limited experience think it helped - perfect feet and pasterns now. Greenpet make a Vit C powder that is odourless, tasteless and can be sprinkled on food, and is the non-calcium salt of ascorbic acid (ie sodium ascorbate, not calcium ascorbate). For me this is important when you have a puppy growing at a rapid rate, as I don't want to supplement with any form of calcium (even tiny). There are directions on the pack, but I seem to recall 1/4 - 1/2 a teaspoon for a 5 - 7 kg pup?

I don't think Vit C can fix the issue alone though. I'm not sure about older dogs, but for fast growing puppies, make sure its not spending most of its time on concrete/tiles/floorboards - get it out on grass and sand where the feet have to flex and actually function. I also make a clamshell with sand available, and encourage lots of digging. Saw a dramatic improvement in 2-3 weeks.

Good luck!

Edited by Wabbit

Yes yes and yes - definitely give it a go. I had the same issue with a pup. The Ester C is brilliant, made by Wagner. Get it online or in a chemist.

I gave 1 tablet (500mg a tablet I think) on her breakfast,and one on her dinner each night. I kept her on it for life, using the same dose - she was 30kg as an adult. It's a great all-round supplement and any excess will just be weed out.

I found it fantastic for the east-west issue. I would credit two things with changing the east-west nature of her feet as a pup: the Ester C twice daily, and changing from 100% high protein large breed puppy food to 50% high protein pup food mixed with 50% lower protein adult food.