Puppy Training

Any suggestions much appreciated e.g. YouTube vids.

Only 2 problems, so far:

1. Barking at loud noises, his reflection or when startled.

2. Biting my kids clothes when puppy excited and playing.

Kids aged 9 and 15 and keen to help train.

Have diverted pup to his chew toy for biting, but no idea at all for barking (ignored only)?

Have started TOT.

Doing well with toileting- goes outside each time he goes out.

Toilets on paper at far end of puppy pen overnight. Has not soiled crate at all (connected with open door to pen)

Sits, but only when he knows I have a treat.

Have given treats for quiet sitting in pen area.

Only day 3 with us.

8 weeks.

Thanks

My two big online recommendations are the Dogstar Daily website (and Dr Ian Dunbars free ebook downloads) and the Kikopup Training videos.

Dr Sophia Yin also has some good stuff on her blog on puppy training.

The barking is entirely natural for a pup experiencing so many thing for the first time. Relax, distract him, and reward/ praise as soon as he's quiet. Use a quiet word (I used a whispered 'hush').

Biting at kids when excited is also very natural. Teach the kids to 'make like a tree' when he starts nipping. ie, they should withdraw, stand up, and tuck their arms in tight around their bodies, so there's nothing for him to grab at, and only start interaction again when he quietens down. So any form of nipping ends the game and the fun. It's a lot of new stimulus for a baby.

Good luck, they are so much fun at this age.

Great dog the poodle. I nearly got one but decided on the kelpie instead.

I brought Control Unleashed for Puppies as I was hugely interested in agility but it had some good ideas for any dog.

I spent ages while my pup was growing trying to get it right. I think I worried a bit too much and didn't enjoy the puppy experience as much as I could have.

However the time I spent training is worth it. I basically rewarded all good behaviour (with food or tug/games) and ignored bad behaviour. If she was particularly wild or barking outside she had a very short time out.

Could be food for lying down while I prepare dogs food ( I have 3). She still goes to the mat in my kitchen and throws herself in a drop on it very loudly if she is waiting for food to come. She is allowed outside after waiting in a sit or drop until given her release word. She loves the suspense. Rewards can be food or simply being allowed to do something she likes.

Right now said kelpie is lying sound asleep at my feet. She is 1 and 1/2 yrs now and such a lovely dog to own.

Good luck with it all. Great family dog but they are also so clever. Maybe you should investigate clicker training if you are interested.