Dog Wants In - Banging And Sooking At Back Door

Been out and done a fun one hour walk with "Rosie". I think she loved it. We have a creek nearby with lots of grassy meadows, wooded areas, willow trees, butterflies. It was like a Disney movie or something LOL.

I tried her for the first time on one of those extendable leads. She doesnt pull, is quite good on a lead (has been shown). I even convinced her to cross the creek (rocks) although I nearly sprained my ankle in the process! Took a busy road to get back home so she experienced alot of stuff on her walk. Stomped through autumn leaves, met the neighbourhood irish wolfhound. She was generally well behaved and only got a bit skittish around the traffic (trucks).

I dont hear her banging at the door :mad Maybe I tired her out?

Some good ideas so far and here are a few more that may perhaps help:

Perhaps giving her something to do while she is in the yard alone will help keep her mind off trying to be with you. Some examples are a stuffed Kong toy or similar, a 'buster cube' or treat ball, a bone, a box or paper bag with some treats/toy in it that she gets to rip up/open to get to the reward or a few treats hidden around the yard for her to find. In warmer weather an icecream container size block of ice with a few treats frozen inside is also good.

Or get a baby gate and put it across the door from the laundry to the rest of the house. You can open the laundry door to the outside (if it has one!) and allow her access. That way she is 'in the house' but not. Baby gates are excellent for dividing up a house to restrict dogs to certain areas.

Try a radio outside so she can lie on her bed and hear talking/music. This also helps to limit distractions from outside the yard (great for dogs that bark at every little sound in the neighbourhood). We have a radio in the garage and the dogs often disappear to lie in the beds and crates in there even when we are out and about in the yard!

Hi Chezzyr,

My Collie bangs the door to go out and bangs it again to be let back in. He learnt this "signal" at 10 weeks old :mad . He is happy if I leave the back door open while he's out there, bangs on it as soon as I close it. I don't have a back verandah so he likes to lie in the doorway surveying his domain. He too likes to know where we are, he is a very personable dog. Once inside he will lie quietly and play with his toys. Rosie has discovered a new environment, it is normal for her to want to explore it. If you want to restrict her access to certain rooms close the door or use a baby gate (metal is best, she may eat a wooden one). Remember she has come from a kennel environment with not much freedom, this must be all very strange to her.

cheers,

Corine