Advice On Recent Incident With My Lab

Georgina Ebony

Hi There,

I have a 3 and a half year old black lab (pedigree with papers that we purchased from a breederfound on Dogzonline) she is adorable!,wants nothing more than belly scratches, absolutely loves people and is totally ball obsessed. I also have a two year old Shih Tzu x Pekingnese (male)and they get a long well, play and sleep together

My Lab is quite a dominant femaale and the breeder informed us that her mother was the same, e.g. if a male tries to mount her she will sit and growl and they will leave her alone she is also a great guard dog at home.

She has been to puppy training and further training to work on her manners e.g. walk without pulling, no jumping etc which has been a huge help. She has also been going to an off the leash dog park since she received all her puppy vaccinations so is used to being around all sorts of people and dogs over the years.

The other day we went to this same dog park and we were throwing the ball she was bringing it back nothing out of the ordinary just minding her business, when on her way back a poodle mix (much small than her) came running very fast at her then the next think i know my lab has grabbed it by the neck and was shaking it and the poor thing was squealing, i ran as quickly as i could as soon as i grabed her she let go of the dog and it ran off - i didnt see any puncture wounds or blood but the poor little thing was so scared and the owner was very angry with us (as you would be) saying its an off the leash area how can we allow a vicious dog off the lead etc. I was trying to explain that she has never acted like this otherwise i definitly wouldn't have her off lead, i didn't see if this dog nipped her first for her to act this way.

She has experienced a lot of small dogs running up to her and either barking or nipping at her feet but she would either just walk off or growl and keep on walking never acting like she did with this dog.

I am so upset that she would act this way towards another dog and am trying to understand what could have made her behaive this way as she has never been treated badly by anyone, did she just get fed up with smalls dogs having a go at her? This small dog didn't seem aggressive at all. Needless to say we won't be going back to this park :(

Advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G