Pee Pad Training Advice?

TCB

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

im new to all this so trying my best to educate myself and prepare for my 8 week old staffordshire terrier .

I plan on crate training and putting a play pen around the crate with his toys and food bowls close .. is it best I apply puppy pads within the pen so if I miss any potty action he might use them ?

I want him to toilet out in the yard eventually .. im planning on getting a doggy door so he can elminate outside then make his way back inside .

because our kitchen joins the backyard door , Im thinking the doggy door would be a good idea for times I'm not home and he needs to toilet outside ..

I hope that makes sense , could someone point me in the right direction ?

if you're going to crate train and have no prior experience then getting ahold of a copy of Susan Garrett's dvd Crate Games is something you won't ever regret purchasing (if you haven't already got a copy). I bought a copy just before i bought my first crate nearly 4 years ago and it's been invaluable in teaching puppy to toilet train, keeping puppy contained in the house when necessary and for a content place to sleep in. I have (labby) puppy sleep in a PP40 crate beside my bed (at bed height) initially to reduce any anxiety in the puppy and then over time the crate gets moved to the lounge room. This allows me to awaken easily when puppy stirs alerting me to toilet it (i also set my alarm every 1.5 hours initially and if there are no accidents i add more time incrementally). Eventually when puppy has earned freedom in the house after proving it won't eliminate or destroy stuff in the house and stay beside my bed at night, they get sleep in a bed beside my bed and the crate is move outdoors and used for when visitors come etc i still play 'yer in, yer out' every now and again to keep him willingly entering and exiting the crate.

I'll be starting the routine all over again next week!