Dog-friendly Camping Spots Geelong - Alice Springs

nickyp

We're planning a family road trip to Uluru in mid-late March and will be taking Emmylou.

Our current plan is to do the trip from Geelong to Alice Springs in four stages: Geelong - Bordertown; Bordertown - Port Augusta; Port Augusta - Coober Pedy and Coober Pedy - Alice Springs. We're thinking of staying for a couple of nights in one or two places to break the trip up. Can anyone recommend any dog-friendly camp grounds in those places or nearby?

We want to spend a couple of days in Alice and then head to Uluru and maybe Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)for a day or so. We've just realised that Em can't come on this part of the trip with us because it's a national park, so we're considering boarding her in Alice while we do that. Two boarding kennels come up when I google and only one of them showed up in a yellow pages online search. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good place?

Having just lost Indi, we really don't want to do this trip without Em. When I mentioned that she wouldn't be allowed into the national park, the kids insisted that we were not going if she couldn't come. I had to convince them that I'd find her a nice place to hang out in Alice Springs before they'd agree to do it.

I have lived in Alice for a few years (not at the moment though) I still board our dogs at Pawz and Clawz and they are very good.

Camping wise, all the roadhouses along the Stuart highway are pet friendly but in Alice they are not so great- Heritage allows pets and some of the others will allow dogs in dog trailers but nothing else. Bed and Breakfasts are nearly all very pet friendly. If you are not fussed by facilities Blatherskite Park (showgrounds) allows camping and there is lots of room for dogs to run around.

Hope you have fun

Mai is the owner at Pawz n Clawz, she is very good, an ex vet nurse I think and spent a lot of time working in the Alice animal shelter.

I've taken our dogs to Yulara (the resort at Uluru) but we stayed in a residents house as they are allowed pets (Yulara isn't actually inside the NP).

One other thing, when we do the run south we stay anywhere but Port Augusta. Lots of crime I believe.

Thanks again, DD. Do you have any recommendations for places other than Port Augusta?

Showdog - We will. We'll have plenty of water with us and Em will be sitting in the back seat with the kids so will get the benefit of the aircon.

Hi Popsicle, I have stayed at Glendambo (North of Port Augusta, its just a road house with some hotel rooms/ camp ground) and I believe quite a few of the showies travelling between Alice and Adelaide pull up there. Not really sure south of Port Augusta- I have camped at Rawnsley Park near Wilpena pound and the Flinders Ranges with the dogs and it was beautiful and very peaceful but it is probably a 300km round trip detour for you. They have very good camping facilities and if you were going to stop somewhere for a day or two that would be the place IMO, nothing much else once you head away from Adelaide towards Alice. They had a dam near the camp site that the dogs could swim in and lots of bushwalks.

Here's their website.

http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/main/accommodation/caravan_park

Hope you have lots of fun!