Jumping Into Car

Hi can someone give me a heads up on getting my Great Dane into the back of my vehicle? I have taught her to get onto a table successfully I can get her to get into my daughters car - which is lower than mine - but she generally wants to 'climb' rather than jump onto things. I have tried playing with her favourite toy and running to the table or car but she always props then tries to climb.

What about teaching her to put her front feet in the car, and you help with the back end?

This is what my mum taught her dally to do when he got to old to jump and she got to sore to lift :)

Worked well for both of them.

Are you sure that there is no underlying medical reason why she won't jump? I would just get that checked out first, if all clear then carry on, but worth a double check. :)

My two GSP's didn't want to jump in to the back of my car either, I tried all the usual things of conditioning them to the car being a nice place (tidbits to find in the back of the car, feeding them there etc etc) but they still refused to jump, preferring to be picked up. I then had a break through, I took them to the kennels for a couple of days and when i went to pick them up both of them came straight out the kennel and jumped staright in the back of the car without even being asked. With that in mind, I made sure to go to very "safe" places in my car for the next few outings and if either dog refused to jump in, I would secure them to a fence or fixture, and drive off. I wouldn't drive very far (maybe 20-25 meters) I would then stop, wait for a few seconds before reversing up, untethering the dog and seeing if they were a little more "motivated". I only had to do it once with my male GSP and a couple of times with my female, and they never refuse now, the back of the car opens up, they wait to be asked to "jump" and in they go. :thumbsup:

The big thing was finding out that they wouldn't, not couldn't do it.

What about teaching her to put her front feet in the car, and you help with the back end?

That's what I do with our Dane cross girl. She can jump up there, but I think she doesn't like to because of the roof being overhead. She's happy to leap up onto other things. It's not hard to lift her back end in once her front paws are up.

Hi all, thank you so much for your responses. I have taught her to put her paws up into the car but I know I will have difficulty when she puts on weight, so would like her to jump in. Luke GSP, thank you for your input. I am having her checked out just in-case, though she is happy to jump into my 4WD not my daughters. I have done lots of hind end awareness exercises but as yet have not worked her over jumps, this is my next step after her check up. In the meantime I do use a step up for her. I will keep working on it. Thank you again.