Play Dead

ok, so i've had the professional Trainer out and he really helped the dogs learn to calm down, which in turn might have helped Ace's focus a little, so training worked out a little better, and he knows when he's sitting or laying down Stay means to stay there so i thought he might be able to learn play dead.

Basically i got him to lay down, then gently pushed him on his side and told him to stay and he did, after a few shots taking away the word stay and replacing it with dead while using the hand gesture for Stay.

within about 5-15 mins this was the result

So now, i wonder, how do you get them to do the beginning of play dead? lol as of now, he'll only do it from laying down and with my hand gesture, maybe a little nudge in the right direction, i think hes completely capable of learning it. (although he wouldnt learn 'touch' hence trying something different.)

We taught 'bang' (you make a gun with your hand and say bang bang) in three stages the first was drop, then lured him to his side by moving a treat towards his hip so he was laying on his side and then onto his back where he got Jackpot treats while we said bang with the hand sign.

He didn't get it for months, then I was doing a fun training session and threw a bang in there and his new winning trick was suddenly a thing

We taught 'bang' (you make a gun with your hand and say bang bang) in three stages the first was drop, then lured him to his side by moving a treat towards his hip so he was laying on his side and then onto his back where he got Jackpot treats while we said bang with the hand sign.

He didn't get it for months, then I was doing a fun training session and threw a bang in there and his new winning trick was suddenly a thing

This is exactly how we taught it as well.

Jager picks things up super quick, and he would drop down dead straight away when we "shot" him. But our problem was that he would die and the lift his head straight away to look for the treats. So we then had to hold off on giving him treats until he was calming laying there. Now when he "dies" he rolls over dead lifts his head for a short second and then thumps it back to the ground. Still works pretty well.