Resource Guarding Between Dogs

Hi wise folks of DOL!

It's been a while since i've popped in here!

We still have our lovely STB Arby and back in feb we added a new family member to the brood - a pitty X ridgeback pup, Cisco.

A little background - Arby is still entire - though as soon as my OH comes back from the course he's on they will both be getting the snip. He's 3 years old and mostly the lovliest soul, a real big snuggle bug that loves everyone including strangers. He has never shown any guarding aggression towards myself or my other half. Over christmas he stayed with another staffy and showed no guarding aggression with her either - they happily ate side by side with no problems or fights over toys.

Cisco is now 8 months old, we got him at 6 weeks from a local rescue after he and his two brothers were dumped. He is also entire currently. Initially he showed some aggression towards us at meal times, but that was quickly snipped in the bud and he hasn't done it since about 8 weeks old. He is timid of strangers (a mixture of growling and running away) but we are working hard to improve that.

We can happily put our hands in both their bowls, take out their favourite coveted chicken wings (though we try not to take out often) etc, can take their most loved toys, pigs ears and bones they're eating no worries, absolutely no aggression towards us.

To start with we were feeding them together (outside, supervised with 6 or so feet between them) and for the first month or so it was ok, even when little Cisco went over to Arbys bowl while he was still eating to see what he had, Arby bless him would just back away and let him check it out. About a month or so after we got him Cisco went over to Arbys bowl, growled at Arby and then all hell broke loose and we had to pull them apart. Cisco had a small puncture wound on his neck which was thankfully only loose puppy skin. (And my finger trying to pull them apart).

Since then we always feed one inside and one outside. Scrap two occurred when i let Cisco out too soon after Arby had finished eating outside (i was in a rush, silly me!). Since then we always leave inside dog in for 10 minutes after they both finish, and pickup bowls and put them away as soon as they're done.

Scrap three (the most recent one) occurred when Arby was playing with the sprinkler (Which he LOVES) and Cisco wanted to play too. Arby didn't want him to and we had to pull them apart again. No damage this time but it sounded like hell breaking loose.

The food thing we can control reasonably well - but i don't want it to get to a point of them guarding everything from each other.

I'm not quite sure how to tackle it as they're not guarding from us, just each other. I would greatly appreciate advise on how we can tackle this.

Many Thanks,

NOCTRL, Arby & Cisco

Yoiks!

you have two entire males , with bull breed genes . Cisco will now be feeling like a MAN -- and he will react differently than he did as a baby. he will smell male, act male ..and , well, ...... When they do fight... yes, it's serious :(

Definitely feed apart now - out of sight..and pick up bowls immediately .

NO two dogs in the yard when one has a favourite plaything

LOTS of training with each of them

definitely get both castrated - NOT 'snipped' as in vasectomy , as that will not stop the testosterone ..

That's all I can think of now ..hopefully someone else will provide more for you to work with :)

Thanks for the reply persephone - i should have been clearer, i certainly do mean castrated. Arby was left till this point (though we did intend to have him done 6 months ago, he got sick with a claw problem and OH has been away on course since) as he was very slow to mature, he is wonderful now though. It was never our intention to breed and he's never been in a situation where it was possible for "accidents" to occur. We feel very strongly about that.

It breaks my heart when they do it (though its only been 3 times in 6 or so months, i'd prefer it didn't happen at all). Normally they get a long so well, they play with "non favourite" toys together quite happily, aren't possessive over my other half or myself.

They probably could use some more exercise in all honesty, we have been contemplating giving the local dog obedience club a go and now show (horse!) season is winding down that's something we can try.