Regurging Saliva - Not Sure Of Vet Diagnosis

Guest donatella

So now she's coughing at night, a honk like cough. Freaking out about collapsed trachea I call another vet who thinks kennel cough and it all fits the bill, the regurg is egg like slimey consistentcy. she hasn't been vaxd since her first year (2 now) as I was going to triannually vax. We don't go far and certainly haven't been to dog parks, where could the KC come from?

I am taking her to an after hour vet when I get home to get a diagnosis

this is just my .2 cents and do get your Vet to tell you if I am on the right track.

This may not be the actual kennel cough of the type that can be rampant in dog kennels. ( the Viral or bacterial type).

Kennel cough is a term than can be given to what is likely bronchitis. If Puppy inhaled anything weeks ago, it may have caused inflammation & hassles now.

Years & years ago when Tibor was young, he developed kennel cough. He had not been near other dogs but got chilled & picked up an infection. My Vet said kennel cough until she did a full examination & checked his history.

for sure, he had the discomfort of the cough & honking.

I hope you find an answer, donatella. It's so upsetting when our furkids are poorly.

:(

Guest donatella

Yeah I don't think actual kennel cough but certainly something irritating her trachea although first 24 hours on the ab's and not one regurg so I'm feeling hopeful :)

How many Vets out there dole out antibiotics "just because" and "just in case" - the worse when they haven't even bothered with temperature much less bloods!!??

Canine Cough transfers easily - it's not localised to just dog parks or kennels, although the common title for it (i.e. Kennel Cough) is misleading and elicits assumption. Same as schools - a great place to have coughs and colds transfer from one person to the other. But these bugs can be picked up from anywhere and in your dog's case it could be from you touching or patting a dog who has cough (whether you know it or not) or from walking your dog on footpath or naturestrip where the virus has been shed by another. Lower potential, but still very possible. Vaccinations do not prevent contraction of CC but it is said by those who believe in them that a dog who is vaccinated may not endure as bad a dose of CC as it might have otherwise. I'm not totally convinced of this and my dog is not vaccinated against CC. He has contracted CC twice in his lifetime and each time it has been mild and overcome swiftly and without drama. He is only one of a huge population, but I know of many others who ascribe to the same or similar thoughts.

I don't bother with jumping to antibiotics for CC, although I do put into action the usual things anyone would do if their child had the flu, such as : keeping free from drafts; reduced/minimised stress; encouraging rest; encouraging hydration; etc. I keep a close eye for further developing secondary infections, but in the absence of those I let the virus run its course, assisting the dog's system by providing natural supplements/treatments such as Active Manuka Honey (high UFS) - great for the irritated throat too - and if I think necessary for more, offering a drink of Calendula Tea.

Edited by Erny

My boy had the same issue with regurgitating when he had Canine Cough. He responded quite well to the doxy - he is immune suppressed and tends to get hit hard by these things and due to the response I suspect he had developed a secondary infection.

I even did give him some of the cough syrup when he was getting distressed by the coughing at night (his nickname isn't Princess for nothing!). Hope your girl continues to improve quickly :)

Guest donatella

Thank you erny great info :) she is only tiny so I tend to panic quick at any ailment but only because if she went down hill it would happen fast and I'm often out with work 12 hours a day.

Omg Karly these are EXACTLY bons symptoms! She only ever coughed at night. The doxy is working really well, not a cough or a regurg since we started *prays*

Thank you erny great info :) she is only tiny so I tend to panic quick at any ailment but only because if she went down hill it would happen fast and I'm often out with work 12 hours a day.

Omg Karly these are EXACTLY bons symptoms! She only ever coughed at night. The doxy is working really well, not a cough or a regurg since we started *prays*

I tend to not think of that as panicking.

Our dog having troubles breathing, coughing etc is a worry.

It's always better to respond to what is happening with them rather than let matters go.

One lucky puppy I think.

:)