Supplements To Strengthen Skin?

dididog

Didi is covered in scars atm. While smooth coated she doesn't have the same sort of thin skin like on a whippet so I don't think that's the issue and she doesn't lead a very rough and tumble life but it seems like everyday we find a new cut or scrape and I'm wondering if perhaps her skin is too delicate for some reason and if there's any supplements or diet additives which could help strengthen it? Or alternatively anything to help promote quick healing and repair of damaged skin/scarring? Her diet is currently 1 1/2 cups Canidae pure sky morning and night and a chicken frame or lamb neck/shank for lunch so pretty basic.

Edited by Terri S.

I don't know if there is anything you can do per se to 'toughen' the skin without causing other issues but adding coconut oil to the food is great for a healthy skin and coat and can also promote healing. You can apply it topically as well or mix a 1 part turmeric and 1 part coconut oil.

Thanks Yonjuro! Yeah toughen probably wasn't the best word but didn't really know how to express it. I just gave Didi a coconut oil rinse yesterday actually (so soft) but I will give putting it into her food a go as well. How much and how regularly for a 44kg pup do you think?

Thanks Yonjuro! Yeah toughen probably wasn't the best word but didn't really know how to express it. I just gave Didi a coconut oil rinse yesterday actually (so soft) but I will give putting it into her food a go as well. How much and how regularly for a 44kg pup do you think?

44kg pup :D Probably one dessert spoon per day would be ideal. If the stools get too soft reduce for a while, but I don't think there should be any issue. Mixing 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric into it for feeding will offer additional benefits.

You may already do this, but cutting back shampooing and using calendula tea instead of shampoo will be great for the skin. Shampooing will strip the dog of its natural protective oils so this is just something else to consider. The coconut oil rinse you did is great in my opinion :thumbsup:

44kg pup :D Probably one dessert spoon per day would be ideal. If the stools get too soft reduce for a while, but I don't think there should be any issue. Mixing 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric into it for feeding will offer additional benefits.

You may already do this, but cutting back shampooing and using calendula tea instead of shampoo will be great for the skin. Shampooing will strip the dog of its natural protective oils so this is just something else to consider. The coconut oil rinse you did is great in my opinion :thumbsup:

Alright thanks :) I'll give it a whirl, might have to incorporate it it with her dry food somehow so it isn't just a big blob of coconut oil in the middle because she can be a bit fussy about eating her dry. I don't need to wash Didi in the summer because she swims every other day so I just save the coconut rinses for when she's a bit on the nose! But I might invest in some calendula anyway since the anti bacterial properties would probably be good for helping her skin heal?

Edited by Terri S.

Oh, coconut oil is very yummy to dogs as is turmeric, my boy licks it up before going for the steak or other goodies. Coconut oil can even help fussy dogs eat their kibble :thumbsup:

Try coconut oil first and if all good think about adding the turmeric.