Bringing My Dog With Me To Canada

Hi,

I'm new here.

I recently got a job in Canada and I want to bring my almost 3 year old Dobermann bitch with me for the move. I have immediate family here in Australia that she will stay with until I get settled in my new city, but I want to bring her over pretty quickly.

What is the easiest way to do this? What are the pros and cons of going through an agent/versus organising myself?

Has anyone done this previously who can give me some ballpark costs and a lowdown?

Also, I would like to understand the process of bringing her back to Australia as it's entirely possible this won't be a permanent move.

Thanks.

This is a link to the Australian Quarantine Service, about what is required to bring a dog into Australia. It is very possible from Canada, as it is a country in which rabies is well controlled, which is basically what Australia requires to allow dogs from a country into Australia, but it would be a very lengthy process, about 6 months of preparations to bring her into Australia. http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs

In terms of bringing her back into Australia, it is probably something you want to look at sooner, rather than later, as if something goes wrong and you come back to Australia, the last thing you want to be doing is trying to find someone to look after her for 6 months. The stuff that requires 6 months is rabies vaccination and titre testing, etc, and that is valid for 2 years.

A pet transport company will organise everything for you, they will make sure all required vaccinations and the like are done, by approved vets, and arrange all the appointments, they will book the flights, arrange the crate, etc, etc. They will book the most direct flights, deal with the airline, etc.

Most health checks for dogs going to another country, have to done by government approved vets and not all vets are approved.

I do not know that much is required, other than a rabies vaccination to enter Canada, but it will be quite complex in terms of arranging all the necessary tests, paperwork, etc, for bringing the dog back into Australia. When it arrives back into Australia, it will be required to spend 10 days in Quarantine.

The size of the dog would play a huge role in costs. It will cost at least a few thousand just for the plane trip for the dog. ALL pet transport companies will give you quotes for free.

A google search bought up this website about bringing dogs into Canada, from my reading all that is required is a rabies vaccination or a health certificate stating the country is rabies free. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/dogs/eng/1331876172009/1331876307796

Edited by Brookestar

Probably not super helpful but I was recently quoted $1600 AUD to move my 10 kilo dog from Sydney to NZ. Door to door. Everything handled by the international movers (dog handling outsourced to a third party - of my choice if i had a preference)

As Brookestar has given you a link to the AGIS site I suggest you have a look there. You should find pretty much everything you need. I may be wrong but I have a feeling that you now must have a shipping agent do the required tasks.

As far as bringing you girl back to Australia there are Veterinary requirements and also she will need to spend 10 days in quarantine on arrival in Australia, either in Sydney or Melbourne. The cost of this is $149 per day currently and I believe going up again soon. As well as this cost you could incur significantly more in other AUIS fees such as collection & transport from the airport ($400 I believe) and Vet inspection etc. etc.

I suggest you contact a few companies such as Jet Pets, Dogtainers, Wayne Moore http://www.boardingk...enquiry_17.html

has a very good reputation and you can submit an enquiry from the link above or phone. He would be able to organise transport both ways.

There are a lot of factors to consider in such a venture.

ETA: 12 years ago I brought a 5 month old Airedale out from England and the air fare alone was $3100.

Edited by Airedaler