Pill Poppers

Stitch

I have to use a pill popper twice daily to give medication to my dog and the one I have is less than perfect.

The pills don't help either as they have a dry surface and the dog is very resentful.

Combine all that with a pill popper that has the usual pencil like thin pusher and the tablets have about a 50% chance of going down.

The perfect pill popper IMO would be one that has a larger end on it so it pushes the whole tablet and not just one little part of it.

Does anyone know where I can get a better pill popper than the one I currently have? It is standard white number with a blue rubber end on it.

No in the food. A small bit of cream cheese on the tablet and he/she might take it from your hand. This works a charm with all my dogs. It might be worth just giving a tiny amount of cream cheese on your finger before you try with the tablet.

Big dog or small?

I like the buster pill poppers for small dogs - they are actually for cats I think but you can suck water up them and then pop the pill on the end so the bit of water helps the pill go down.

For any larger than cat size dog I prefer to not use one at all. I just give food, open mouth shove it down, immediately follow with another tasty treat.

Another thing my clinic can get made up for difficult till dogs is 'doggy dough'.. our compounding pharmacy makes it up according to their needs and most go nuts for it.

No it comes in a tub and you can put whatever medications you like in it. It's made up for the patient so sometimes its beef based sometimes chicken etc. Another option if they are long term medications sometimes its possible to get them to be compounded into a tasty paste as well.

Ask your vet as many have a compounding pharmacy they use - if they don't see if they are happy to write a script so that you can contact them and get meds made that way. Another option for some meds is a paste that you rub on the ears and it absorbs that way - it just depends what the meds are to what they can do.