Papilloma Virus

My 2yo dog has had a lump removed from near her eye. It came back even closer to her eye within 8 weeks, I then had this one removed for testing, which was a little inconclusive, it showed that it wasn't malignant but did not conclude that it was viral, however one week later she had another one a little closer to her eye and two weeks after that another appeared on the stitch line. These things grow rapidly, to approximately 5mm in three weeks. She also has a few in her mouth, approx 8mm to date. This has lead the vet to believe it to be papilloma virus. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? I am concerned that if this thing grows too large it will hamper her eyesight and be difficult to live with but I cant keep having them removed as we will run out of skin to remove. Also they are getting closer to her eye. Any suggestions/similar experiences/magical remedies?

The presence of papillomatous lesions in both the mouth and eyes of a young dog is certainly consistent with them being viral papillomas. It is unfortunate that the histopathology was not conclusive, however unless there is interference or repetitive trauma to one of the lesions, treatment is not usually necessary. While they require ongoing monitoring, papillomas will generally spontaneously resolve given time although this may take several months. Being near the eye is a bit awkward, there is limited tissue to resect as you are aware, if there was reasonable confidence in the diagnosis then they could be treated symptomatically with eye lubricants to limit irritation / abrasion to the cornea. There is an old saying that they will either take 3 months or 12 weeks to resolve :)

The presence of papillomatous lesions in both the mouth and eyes of a young dog is certainly consistent with them being viral papillomas. It is unfortunate that the histopathology was not conclusive, however unless there is interference or repetitive trauma to one of the lesions, treatment is not usually necessary. While they require ongoing monitoring, papillomas will generally spontaneously resolve given time although this may take several months. Being near the eye is a bit awkward, there is limited tissue to resect as you are aware, if there was reasonable confidence in the diagnosis then they could be treated symptomatically with eye lubricants to limit irritation / abrasion to the cornea. There is an old saying that they will either take 3 months or 12 weeks to resolve :)

Thanks for your advice.

I might contact the vet and see if I can get hold of the histopathology report.

The first one we had removed was about 1cm in size and around 6-8weeks old. I didn't have it tested.

When the second one grew back quickly we had it removed with a large margin and tested.

If attached some pics in case they add any further clues.

This is 3 and a half weeks after second removal.

It sounds like we should just wait it our and hope for the best.

As the main eye lump is only 2 and a half weeks old and growing rapidly, I am a little concerned about waiting 12 plus weeks in case it doesn't disappear by itself and needs removing?

There are a few in her mouth most are large smooth pink lumps, there is one which has rough grey appearance but that may be due to it being in a position where it may be getting damaged while she eats.

Thanks again.

post-53530-0-23378700-1429404318_thumb.jpg