Importing Dog And/or Semen From Germany

Luv_Spitz

i would appreciate some advice from people with recent experience in importing a dog or frozen semen from Germany or France. I have been communicating with breeders who are German but live on the French side of the French/ German border. The breeders communicate quite well in English but when I sent a copy of the import requirements from the AQUIS website, the document in English got a bit too hard for them. AQUIS tell me they do not publish the requirements in other languages and the whole concept of Approved and Official Vets has my people totally confused and our negotiations at a standstill.I would appreciate advice from anyone who has been through this process and who can advise where/how I can obtain a list of approved Vets and contact details for the Official Vet in Germany and France.I am also interested in information about transport agents in those countries that people here have had experience with. Any help appreciated.

Try an import agent in Australia.

Some vets will also liase and do all the requirements on the client's behalf.

Monash Veterinary clinic in Victoria are great:

Speak to Melanie or Stuart.

MONASH CLINIC

I recently imported semen through Monash and they were fab :thumbsup:

ETA: There is significant cost difference between importing a live dog and importing frozen semen in a group shipment. If the dog is young and your bitch is young, imported semen can work quite well. Just make sure you get the entire ejaculate or 4 - 5 breeding units.

Edited by lilli

I have used Cryogenes several times. They should be able to direct you to a vet in the country you are importing from that can do it and liaise with the breeders on what is required.

It can get tricky at times with language difficulties, though the collection side I found goes much easier once a vet has been identified as you can both deal directly with them.

The bit I had trouble with at one point was the registration paperwork. Things were a bit confusing, even with a breeder in Finland who was a very good English speaker, until I figured out what the equivalent was in Finnish for a 'certified' (i.e. notarised as a true copy by a justice of the peace) pedigree!! Once I figured out the Finnish word, we were home and hosed LOL!

Edited by espinay2