Question About Dogs Interstate

I have noticed a listing for a dog in Coffs Harbour that I am interested in. But Coffs Harbour is an eight hour drive from here. I couldn't get through on the phone, so called my local RSPCA and asked if they transfer dogs from one facility to another and I was told they don't. So I am just wondering, if someone wants to adopt a dog, why would they not do something like have the local RSPCA interview the adopting family and do a yard check and then recommend the dog be transferred to them if the family would be suitable thus enabling the dog to be adopted rather than kept in a shelter? I would be happy to pay the transport costs. Is this just because they don't want to risk that the dog doesn't like you and they end up with another dog in their shelter to care for?

The RSPCA in each state has different people running them, so even though they are the same entity as such, they don't all work the same way. That would restrict how they interact with each other.

The RSPCA in each state has different people running them, so even though they are the same entity as such, they don't all work the same way. That would restrict how they interact with each other.

Yes. Once we considered adopting a cat from the Noosa RSPCA.... we were down the coast in Brisbane. RSPCA was willing to transfer the puss to the Brisbane facility ... after the screening processes were done. I've got a vague memory of reading in the RSPCA Qld magazine about a lady down south adopting a dog from the Brisbane facility. Lady paid for the transport in that case. Don't know what their current policies are, tho'.

Well I finally got through to RSPCA Coffs Harbour and they are far more helpful than RSPCA ACT. Interview done over the phone, happy to send dog to me if I am happy to pay for the flight. Of course this approach might not work in every instance, at least they were willing to work with me.

You are quite right Malti, they don't all work the same way.

I work for a pet transport company and we do a lot of collections from shelters around Aus and transport to new owners, but I haven't heard much about them transferring between branches. Some are awesome though and drop the pet to the airport for you etc.

I know! I've done all this research about the dog I think will work best for us, spent ages refining my list of shortlisted breeds and then I've gone and got something else, and an ex puppy farm cross breed at that! :laugh: Having said that, this dog still is going to be great for us, but it just makes me laugh. It's a case of right place right time for this particular dog, she needs a loving home and I happen to have one here for her. It didn't hurt that the barrier to a small fluffy dog was my husband - he felt a small fluffy dog was not masculine enough - but he bought himself an expensive jacket today so when I showed him the picture and said "could you cope with this?" he said "yes" because he'd bought the jacket, so I did it!

It has cost more to get the dog here than it did to adopt, my goodness there is a HUGE mark up, I know the airfare is $135 (got a quote myself earlier), but they are billing $400 in total. We are only renting the crate and the RSPCA is dropping off. So $265 on crate hire and a bit of admin at the airport. :eek: