Seizure And Vaccination

Thank you everybody. I have just come home from the vet and my girl has had the triennial C3 and the annual kennel cough vaccination. The vet said I need not do the kennel cough vaccination every year but it needed to be done two weeks before she went to a kennel. Thanks for the info about titre testing (and Trifecta I know where Kate Millhouse is) but the kennel she goes to does not accept it. I am very happy with the kennel which is at a vet's and only takes elderly or sick animals. They only have about twelve dogs at a time and it suits me. She seems to be happy there and since I expect to be attending an interstate wedding in the near future she needs her vaccinations to be up to date.

She seems to have recovered well from her seizure, and I guess I just have to wait for the next one which will probably not be for a few months. The vet did say that anxiety can trigger a seizure and since she is an anxious dog I will keep that in mind. I do have a new puppy here and I am wondering if it is upsetting her.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions

Great to hear that she recovered well from the seizure the other night :) I was thinking about her this afternoon actually and the fact that she only has about 4 a year. Are they spaced out fairly evenly and how do they correlate to worming treatments? Someone on an epilepsy group I'm on mentioned the other day that their dog has a seizure every 3 months and it worked out to be within a week of her worming each time. Its not something I had ever considered before but I guess it makes sense. I know of many dogs that only have a seizure on a full moon. There is so much about the disease that we will probably never understand, which is very scary! It makes it very hard to avoid triggers when they are so varied :(

Thank you everybody. I have just come home from the vet and my girl has had the triennial C3 and the annual kennel cough vaccination. The vet said I need not do the kennel cough vaccination every year but it needed to be done two weeks before she went to a kennel. Thanks for the info about titre testing (and Trifecta I know where Kate Millhouse is) but the kennel she goes to does not accept it. I am very happy with the kennel which is at a vet's and only takes elderly or sick animals. They only have about twelve dogs at a time and it suits me. She seems to be happy there and since I expect to be attending an interstate wedding in the near future she needs her vaccinations to be up to date.

She seems to have recovered well from her seizure, and I guess I just have to wait for the next one which will probably not be for a few months. The vet did say that anxiety can trigger a seizure and since she is an anxious dog I will keep that in mind. I do have a new puppy here and I am wondering if it is upsetting her.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions

Great to hear that she recovered well from the seizure the other night :) I was thinking about her this afternoon actually and the fact that she only has about 4 a year. Are they spaced out fairly evenly and how do they correlate to worming treatments? Someone on an epilepsy group I'm on mentioned the other day that their dog has a seizure every 3 months and it worked out to be within a week of her worming each time. Its not something I had ever considered before but I guess it makes sense. I know of many dogs that only have a seizure on a full moon. There is so much about the disease that we will probably never understand, which is very scary! It makes it very hard to avoid triggers when they are so varied :(

Thank you for your concern. I am quite convinced that different dogs have different triggers

This page is very interesting as is the whole website:

http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/SeizureTriggers.htm

Thanks Kirty, I will ask the vet about it. Kennels do require the kennel cough vaccination so she does need to have it done.

She looks much better today. She just wants to sleep on my couch which is okay with me. I love her so. :) But don't we all love our dogs? :)

Kennel cough vaccinations are NOT good for three years; probably not good for even one year; and like flu shots, if the strain going around is not one covered by the vaccine you use, they may not work very well at all. When I had a boarding kennel (in WA) my vet suggested telling people that the optimum time for KC vaccination is a few weeks before going to the kennel. Nor is heartworm good for more than a year.

I'd avoid the heartworm shot altogether and go to a monthly dose of something such as HeartGuard.